X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot log on locally to SBS 2003

Hi folks,
    We have a right odd one here.

If I sit at the console on a brand spanking new 2003 SBS server and try to log in, I get told "To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right" blah blah blah.

Now I'm used to sorting out this message for terminal services logins but let me make this perfectly clear - we are logging directly onto the console using a keyboard, monitor and mouse attached directly to the server. No TS involved.

To make things even odder, we CAN connect via remote desktop to port 3389 and it logs in without a problem.

This one has me confused and I'm not sure what to do short of wiping the SBS installation and starting again, which we're hoping to avoid..

The only relevant errors are:

System log

Code:
    **System

Event Type:    Warning
    Event Source:    LSASRV
    Event Category:    SPNEGO (Negotiator) 
    Event ID:    40960
    Date:        12/11/2009
    Time:        15:49:57
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVERNAME
    Description:
    The Security System detected an authentication error for the server .  The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
     (0xc000005e)".

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 5e 00 00 c0               ^..
    Application log:

Code:
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Userenv
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1030
    Time:        20:37:22
    User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={SID},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=domain,DC=local. The file must be present at the location <\\domain.local\sysvol\domain.local\Policies\{sid}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted. 

Event Source:    Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1000
    Time:        15:07:04
    Description:
    #50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on SERVERNAME\SharePoint.  Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.

Event Source:    MSExchangeSA
    Event Category:    RFR Interface 
    Event ID:    9143
    Time:        15:05:44
    Description:
    Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI Clients. 

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Re: Cannot log on locally to SBS 2003

Are you using the same User Account when logging on with both methods?
    Have you tried rebooting the Server and then trying locally again?
    What User Account are you using? Administrator or a different one?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,
      Yes I am using the exact same account, the original domain administrator. The server has been rebooted a number of times and I've even run the SBS change IP wizard at one point (then changed it back the same way) incase anything was pointing to the wrong address.

We have a second administrator account that was set up for the backup software to run under. This account CAN log in locally so it appears there is a problem somewhere with the domain account "administrator".

I have been through the two accounts in AD and it seems that the administrator account has lost some details. When you go to the "Account" tab you have two options. One is "User logon name" and the other "User logon name (pre-Windows 2000)"

Somehow, our administrator account had lost the "User logon name" and only had the pre Windows 2000. I have put the details back in but it still won't log in locally..
      Last edited by beddo; 13th November 2009, 10:49.

Comment

Apparently none of the fileshares on the server work either which I suspect is a big cause of the problem. None of the group policies can be loaded as the SYSVOL share is accessible.

I can't log into any share with any username and its not permissions which leads me back to possible kerberos problems but I've no idea how to check up on Kerberos?

Comment

Never mind, we've broken it properly now trying to get to grips with the domain problem. It'll be easier to just start again when we have physical access to the server (machine has been sat there for 3 hours saying "Preparing network connections")

Comment

Working...
          X