No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 DNS strange behaviour

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 DNS strange behaviour

This is an odd one, seems a bit similar to an issue nonapeptide had a few months back.

We've just installed SBS 2008 Standard and it seemed to be working fine but with occasional connectivity issues. Finally managed to get onsite today when it happened and found that DNS queries are not being resolved by the server. NSLookup shows the default server as unknown and an IPv6 address, rather than the IPv4 address. IPv6 is not in use although I am wary of disabling it given all the warnings and potential issues with Exchange.

I've configured forwarders now rather than just using root hints, and that seems to have fixed the issue although I'd like to fix it properly if possible. I've run SBS-BPA and made a few changes, specifically disabling all of the Scalable Networking components that were recommended and configured BackConnectionHostNames. I also tried telling DNS to listen only on the IPv4 interface with no success, nslookup still returns UnKnown and the IPv6 address when you launch it. will not resolve unless the forwarders are in place.

Any suggestions most welcome.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: SBS 2008 DNS strange behaviour

I know this sounds wierd but did you setup / configure the server in house?

as the first time is set up ans sbs 2008 box i did it in the office and i had similar issues to your self regarding dns. some one suggested to me that i should try setting it up in place. and who would of believed it all of the dns issues disapered!! now i have done the setup's where they are going to be used and i haven't had any other dns issues. wierd i know but i jist thought i would throw it out there!