Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMAP - Admin can use IMAP but John Doe can't

Hi Guys,

SBS2003. The Administrator account can use IMAP from a remote computer but a user John.Doe cannot.

Having ensured the IMAP service is running, and made sure the router is correctly configured, I can setup an Outlook profile new email account on a remote PC as an IMAP mailbox for the Administrator account. That worked fine and this can subscribe to the IMAP folders no problem.

However John.Doe cannot access IMAP from the same remote computer's Outlook profile. The Outlook connection to the IMAP server simply keeps popping up the username and password dialog box, and we treble checked the login details. There is no error message.

I have ensured the John.Doe SBS account does have IMAP enabled in Exchange Tasks and I even (temporarily) made John.Doe a member of Domain Admins to see if that made any difference. It did not, so I took him out of that group again to be safe. He is however a member of Mobile Users and Remote Desktop Users.

What additional capability do I need to give John.Doe to allow him to access IMAP the same way that the Administrator account can?

Very many thanks for any help you can provide.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: IMAP - Admin can use IMAP but John Doe can't - FIXED

I found the issue - it was that the Exchange Alias for John.Doe did not match his Windows login name.

I made the Exchange Alias (which was jd) match the Windows login name (which was John.Doe) and then IMAP instantly worked for him.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Re: IMAP - Admin can use IMAP but John Doe can't

Thanks for posting back the fix. Appreciated.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X