Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 - SBS 2008 Migration

Hi
    We currently run SBS 2003 and I have built SBS 2008. Currently our SBS 2003 domain is e.g. 123.co.uk and new SBS 2008 domain is e.g. 456.co.uk. I want to only move some of the old mailboxes from the old domain to the new domain. We will be deploying Windows 7 on the desktops so keeping old domain desktops is not a problem.

My primary concern is how to quickly and easily move the mailboxes. We only need to keep them for reference as the new SBS 2008 server will use MAPI4 whereas the old SBS server ran POP3/SMTP.

If this proves to be difficult could we just export the old .PST files and load them on a standalone PC and import them when required?

I look forward to your helpful hints and tips.

Thanks

Ray

Re: SBS 2003 - SBS 2008 Migration

I suggest, with a small number of users, using a local PST is the quickest and easiest option
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian
      Are you saying just create the .PST's from the local desktops and then re-import them into the new domain?

As the old domain was .123.co.uk will these need to be convereted to the 456.co.uk domain?

We only have 6 mailboxes that we need to move, if that helps.

Thanks

Ray

Comment

for old emails the domain (email address of sender / recipient) doesnt really matter
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is essentially what the Exmerge tool does - as long as none of your mailboxes are over 2GB. It exports them to .pst files and then imports them back in again. Since you are only moving content, it doesn't care about domains. BTW if you are using a language other than English that is not supported by Exmerge, petri.co.il has a good article on how to do it with Hebrew, for example. It is the same principle for other languages not included.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X