Alternate client DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate client DNS

On an SBS2008 network is it possible to configure the server settings to have client PCs use an alternate DNS server (without manually configuring the DNS settings on each PC) in the event the SBS2008 server is unavailable? I've had a couple of unrelated issues with my SBS server and want to at least provide internet connectivity for my clients in the event the SBS server is down.

Re: Alternate client DNS

Are you running DHCP (you should be)
    You can add additional DNS servers in Scope options
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ossian is complety correct... if you configure your DHCP Scope to have 2 dns servers, it will fail to the second when the frist is not responding
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the info. What is the difference between the list of DNS Servers in the Scope Options vs Server Options?

Comment

Scope options should only apply to clients as their defaults.

Server options are inherited by the clients of the DHCP server. These values can be overridden by different values if those values are set at either a scope, options class, or at the reserved client level.

Basically, large DHCP networks use the Server option. Smaller networks use the Scope option. The majority of DHCP networks I've seen use the Scope option.

You can read more about this at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...05(WS.10).aspx

Good luck!

Comment

Ah... heirarchical - makes sense. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Be aware that the clients will continue to use the alternate DNS, even when the SBS comes back on line, until they are rebooted!
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Surely not?
                If the clients have 2 DNS servers listed, I am sure they will always try #1 and only try #2 if the first is not available
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tested this and confirmed the following

- No reboot is necessary; primary DNS is used when available

New related question as unfortunately, this did not have the intended effect.

When my SBS2008 server is unavailable (for instance, during a reboot), internet connectivity still fails even with the alternate DNS in place (I confirmed by checking the ipconfig /all settting). I couldn't even successfully ping an external IP addresses until the server was online again. My default gateway is set to the router IP. What am I missing? How can I ensure internet connectivity to client PCs if the DC/SBS 2008 box is down? Seems like this should be possible...

Comment

I knew there was a problem somewhere, even if it is not exactly as I stated, but see:
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320760

Reboot does "fix it" - or wait 15 minutes.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X