Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Address List

Hello,
    I'm new to SBS 2008 and would appreciate your help on the following.

I want a Company address book that will hold contacts such as suppliers, customers etc., and want this to be available in OWA and our iPhones. Also it should be able to be edited by some users and read only for others.

What is the Best Practice way of acheiving this?

I have tried sharing a Contacts folder in Outlook 2007 and although this works ok when placed in the Public Folder, it does not appear on the iPhone address lists.

Probably I'm missing something simple?

Thanks for your help.

David

Re: Company Address List

AFAIK the iPHone will only natively synchronise with the contacts in your personal exchange profile

This article: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=506213
    recommends some 3rd party solutions but the reports are mixed
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is not simple! I have been asking everyone at Microsoft to make this simple for the last 'x' years - ever since mobile phones became popular. The only solution I have found so far is to acquire BCM (Business Contact Manager) for Office 2007 and the mobile client. Configure it with a common database on the SBS (there is a white paper on how to do that) That way you keep all your company contacts in BCM and you can see them on the mobile client also. I don't know if the mobile client is only for Windows Mobile Phones or iPhone also. You also need good strong machines since BCM adds a lot of weight to Outlook/Office, or you will suffer from poor performance.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.
        So it seems that it's not possible to have 2 address books, one personal and one for shared business contacts whilst using Windows SBS 2008, Outlook 2007 and an iPhone.
        This is a shame and an oversight on the part of Microsoft.
        I am the network manager for two businesses that both want the above scenario although at the moment they are using SBS 2003.
        I suppose it's not thend of the world but would surely be worthwhile someone writing the code to make it work.
        In the meantime I will just report that it's not currently possible.
        Once again thanks for your assistance.

David

Comment

For clarification: this is a limitation of Exchange, Outlook, ActiveSync and Mobile Phones - not a limitation of SBS itself. There are third party applications which do this - they just cost money. Also Microsoft doesn't have to make ALL the software you use.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X