hi all

i have kind of hardware question
    i intend to install sbs 2008
    can i configure on one raid card
    2 types of raid
    one miror for the system
    and raid 5 for exchange?

Re: raid settings

That really depends on your RAID Controller, although any decent controller will allow this setup.

I just installed SBS 2008 on an HP ML110, which has onboard SATA RAID supporting RAID 0,1 and 10, but not 5. Not a combination I've ever seen before.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    Cruachan's Blog

Why are you wanting to install the Exchange files on a RAID5 configuration? Why not just go with RAID1 on both the System files and Exchange files? RAID1 provides better read/write speed than a RAID5 would as RAID5 is processor intensive yet you're getting the same fault tolerance with both RAID setups.

Basically, here's what you get with the following RAID setups:

Raid 0 = 2TB (capacity = total of all drives, minimum 2)
      Raid 1 = 2x 500GB (2:1 ratio, minimum 2 per set)
      Raid 10 = 1TB (2:1 ratio, minimum 4)
      Raid 5 = 1.5TB (capacity = total of all drives minus 1, minimum 3)

Redundancy (NOT BACK UP)
      Raid 0 = NONE
      Raid 1 = Single Drive Failure per mirrored set
      Raid 10 = Single Drive Failure per mirrored set
      Raid 5 = Single Drive Failure

Raid 0 = Fastest, performance increases with drive count
      Raid 1 = Possible boost in speed for READ, no gain to possible loss (if noticeable) elsewhere
      Raid 10 = Similar performance to its equivalent drive Raid 0 (ie 3 Drive Raid0=6 drive Raid 10)
      Raid 5 = Between Raid 0 and single drive performance, goes up with drive count, and is processor intensive

I'd go with RAID1 for both file systems. It may be cheaper too!

It all depends on the make and model of your RAID controller. Some will allow you to setup different RAID sets.

I would suggest you go to the RAID controllers vendors website to check, most high end controllers can support this, on-board RAID normally do not.