No announcement yet.

3rd Party Certificates Not working.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Party Certificates Not working.

I am stuck. I am doing an SBS Swing Migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. In SBS 2003 I used Self-signed Certs that were issued to Those Certs work fine for my Outlook/Exchange because I installed them on every machine that needed it. For our Sharepoint I just told the users to ignore the Cert Warning.
    I have decided and use 3rd Party Certs. I got them from They sent me a Certificate.crt, two intermediates and a Root_certificate.crt.
    I used the Wizard to generate the CSR, then install their first Cert with it. I then used the import function of the MMC Snap-in for the Intermediates in order: Certificates (Local Computer) -> Intermediate Certification Authorities-> Certificates – only one shows up now. Then finally, imported the Root into the Third-Party Root Certificate (did not know where to put it so I placed it in -> Certificates (Local Computer) -> Third-Party Root Certification Authorities.)
    Needless to say, it doesn’t work. No one seems to know what to do. says they won’t support anything outside their system. They did send me a doc from that show you how to bind the Certs to IIS. When I did it, IIS hung!
    I want to make everything as seamless as I can. No need to install Certs for Outlook. No warning when my users go to for Sharepoint or any web site on the server – and no need to add Certs to mobile phones.
    Any help is appreciated,
    P.S. How do I uninstall what I have already done too? I suppose I made a mess.

Re: 3rd Party Certificates Not working.

I think you have. but anyway we are here to help each other.
    Check this link: it is a screencast about installing certificates . hope that this will help you a bit in the correct way
    rgds Marco

Re: 3rd Party Certificates Not working.

the certificates in sbs 2008 are different to the certificates in sbs 2003 if you browse to you public share folder you will find a folder called install self assiged certificates or somethign along those lines! just install and away you go!