Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policy change to enable Power Plans on network users W7 pcs

Win 7 Pcs on SBS 2003 network.

Problem: Cannot make changes to W7 Power Plan - specifically, "Put the computer to sleep" drop-down is greyed out.
    W7 warns that this is because the policy is set by the server (and thus cannot be changed by the user)

Investigation so far: SBS 2003 policies appear to have been devised in the days of XP - before anyone thought of conserving power.
    Cannot find suitable policy in GPM snap-in.
    Assume the need to construct a suitable 'enabling policy'.
    The W7 pc went into sleep mode before it was joined into the domain and the sleep button both exists and works manually from the START button.

Intended result.
    Would like to enable a policy on W7 pc to put it into sleep mode automatically after 'n' minutes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Re: Policy change to enable Power Plans on network users W7 pcs

Microsoft/Windows Update; Client Side Extensions for Group Policy perhaps?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Tnks. May already have these extensions loaded. If not that sounds like a good direction to go in..........

Comment

Did you track down this issue yet? I'm about to and thought I'd ask you first.

I don't have RSAT going yet, but I have a feeling that once I do, the policies to "unlock" this strange behavior will appear there (it's very annoying that it can't be done from the server though).

Comment

No.
          The user can initiate sleep mode manually.
          However, I have found that the W7 PC's don't always recover fully from sleep. In particular, sometimes the Internet connection is lost - easily restored by closing ie8 and restarting, so am not quite so keen to impose a policy to make the w7 PCs go into sleep mode now!

Comment

The only thing that comes to mind there is disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the NIC properties in Device Manager.

BTW, on the above issue, I found the power settings in local group policy (the one run individually on a machine), and tried setting the timeout there as a test. It not only didn't ungray anything, it also didn't work, though I only tested it once.

Comment

To solve the problem, I bit the bullet and got Group Policy Management going (via RSAT) on a Win7 workstation, which I didn't realize until recently was necessary to be able to get at all Vista/Win7 policies. I had assumed that the "Small Business Server - Windows Vista policy" accessible via the server (assuming you're current on Windows Update) had them all, but not even close. I didn't have Vista long enough, or on enough machines, to notice or care about this before.

I downloaded and installed RSAT on the Win7 management PC. In Windows Features, I enabled only Group Policy Management Tools.
              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-4e344e43997d

This was optional, but I figured it was a good idea (see the link), so I copied PolicyDefinitions up from the PC to the server:
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...08(WS.10).aspx

Code:
              copy %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\* %logonserver%\sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\PolicyDefinitions\
              Then you run Group Policy Management on Win7, drill down to "Small Business Server - Windows Vista policy" and right-click it and choose Edit. The two policies in question are under Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Power Management, Sleep Settings. The two you see enabled there should be Disabled. Once done, you can reboot or open an elevated command prompt and issue this command, after which it should be in effect (or shortly after):
              gpupdate /force

Details at that link, which also explains that this policy was enforced in the first place so people would have simpler access to Remote Desktop.
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...63(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Working...
              X