Enable Master Browser on Domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enable Master Browser on Domain

Having an Issue with Network Browsing

The Network has two servers currently on the Domain EXAMPLE

Server A runs active directory, DHCP , DNS, Exchange and pretty much everything that a domain controller runs. (is SBS 2008 SP1)

Server B is a defunct server and has been in place before I came in to look at the network. It has some shared folders and thatís about it. (is Windows Server 2003 SP2)

I am having issue with Client computers not able to browse the network if they go to
    Network Places >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network >> EXAMPLE

Getting the following error
    Example is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently not available

Information Gathered so far
    On the SBS 2008 server manager console
    1. under Features >> WINS >> Active Registrations I donít see EXAMPLE Listed as Domain Controller as well as Master Browser
    (I say this by looking at a similar deployment that works fine and has the domain name listed as domain controller and master Browser)
    EXAMPLE is only listed as Type [00h] Workgroup and IP address point to Server B

2. Coming back on track, Under Active directory Users and Computers, the DC type for server A is GC whereas that for server B is DC

3. When I run a browstat status on the domain I get
    Browsing is not active on the Domain
    Master Browser is held by: B
    Master Browser is running build 3790

4. On Server B registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster has been set to FALSE.

5. For Some reason IsDomainMaster key was not found in Server A registry (dunno if itís a SBS 2008 thing)

Action items

1. I want to have server A as the master browser

2. Browsing needs to be enabled under browstat status and master browser pointing to server A

Please let me know if more troubleshooting info is required.

Re: Enable Master Browser on Domain

Answered in another forum (cross posting?)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.