Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming Profile fails to delete desktop icons

Hi,

a user with an XP Pro laptop joined to an SBS 2003 domain deletes desktop icons A, B and C when he is in the office and they stay deleted (as expected) the next time he comes into the office and logs on to the domain. So when in the office, his profile is working fine. If I browse to the Desktop folder under his \\server\profilespath\hisname it has the correct icons in it.

When he travels, he deletes other icons X, Y and Z from the desktop of his laptop when sitting in the airport lounge, and the next time he sits at his office desk and logs onto the domain the icons X, Y and Z come back again and he can see them on his desktop, presumably because the roaming profile sync thinks they should be there, (but they should not be there becauise he deleted them while he was remote).

How do I go about troubleshooting this issue? If he adds new desktop icons to his desktop wherever he may be, they do not get lost. It's only icons that were deleted when he was offline that re-appear when he is local again.

If another user tries the same thing, deleting desktop icons when not connected to the LAN, his icons do not reappear when he is back at the office. I would expect this behaviour.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Roaming Profile fails to delete desktop icons

Why are you using roaming profiles? UTFW and do folder redirection for My Documents. Add to that in Group Policy a redirection of Desktop and Favourites. You should notice a big improvement in performance at login/logoff.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: Roaming Profile fails to delete desktop icons

Good point, thanks.

They used Roaming Profiles when we took them on as a client so I have to find out whether Roaming Profiles are really needed (I suspect not).
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
      X