Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server hardware sizing

Hi All,

I'll like to get your opinion for server hardware sizing for about 15 users in a Small Business Server 2008 LAN. This is the Standard edition. File/print & Exchange server only.

I know that 8GB is the minimum from Microsoft. I'm more concerned about the memory.

No other application on the server other than Trendmicro Worry Free Advanced Business edition.

thx,
    suds
    Last edited by sudsmeister; 29th September 2009, 12:46.

Re: Server hardware sizing

For more users better more memory. For 5-10users is 8GB ok. For 10-15users is 10-12GB. For more than 20 (up to 50) users is 16GB ok. Everything is based on all components will be installed in Standard Ed. (users = concurrent users or actively working on same time). It is a recommended (experience) for fine and quick working all components.
    Mayo

be sure, nobody know what you think, but we know what you do.

Comment

8GB is good but the more the merrier. However, don't skimp on the disk system. Get a decent RAID card and put the OS on a mirrored pair, Exchange on a mirrored pair and then user data and sharepoint on a RAID 5 set. Of course, this is only if you plan on using sharepoint, but if you also want to use it as the file server then definitely get a RAID 5 set to place that data on and keep it away from the system drive and the Exchange drive.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks, Mayo

cheers,
        suds

Comment

Hi Nonapeptide,

Thanks for your input. Budget is a bit tight for the number of HDDs but Memory is something I'll not be stingy.

thx again to all

suds

Comment

For 15 users, why not dump a couple of 1TB drives and RAID 1 them. Better still, 4 x 1TB drives and RAID 10. For that few users performance is not going to be an issue so no need to go overboard with RAID 1 for O/S, RAID 1 for Exchange and RAID 5 (personally I would go RAID 6 if that setup was required) for everythig else.

What is the budget?
            Is the Server going to be used by Remote Users?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by sudsmeister View Post
              Hi All,

I know that 8GB is the minimum from Microsoft. I'm more concerned about the memory.

No other application on the server other than Trendmicro Worry Free Advanced Business edition.

thx,
              suds
              Technically 4Gb is the minimum from Microsoft, but 8 Gb is the minimum for getting any work done!
              Also my reading of Trend Worry Free is that it is anything but! Actually that goes for any product that adds another firewall or generally tries to provide endpoint security.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X