sbs 2008 premium with SQL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs 2008 premium with SQL

Can anyone tell me why you shouldnt install SBS 2008 with SQL 2008 on a single box?

I know for the obvious reason of single box, single point of failure, but that still isnt good enough for clients not to obviously want a second server for SQL

Are there any performance issues with running Exchange 2007 / SQL 2008 on the same system?

Disk array would be two disk raid 1 for the OS and four disk raid 10 for the data/exchange store/sql db

Server will have a single quad core xeon and 16gb ram and a single intel nic

They have an ERP system that will utilise the SQL database, also use data cubes for reporting and statistical analysis

the current database is 1.8gb and they have 25 users with no user growth expected.

any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: sbs 2008 premium with SQL

does sbs2008 include SQL like SBS2003 does.. ?
    isn't the concept of SBS that it's all optimised in such a way as to effectively run AD,Exchange,SQl,Sharepont, all on the one server ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

SBS 2008 Premium comes with SQL Server 2008. Premium also comes with a second Windows Server 2008 license with the intent that you will either install it and the SQL server on a separate piece of hardware on a separate virtual machine. It's impossible to say if there will be a noticable performance hit on the server if SQL and Exchange cohabitate. How many mailboxes are there? How heavy is the mail flow? Will you have third-party Exchange level anti-spam and anti-virus installed? What is the usage statistics for the ERP database? Etc. and etc.

Personally, I would recommend at least installing the SQL Server on the separate Server 2008 license in a virtual machine. See if you can do it on the SBS 2008 DC. Performance will be hit of course, but disaster recovery and the potential for interfering processes is reduced. The best option would be to install it on a separate piece of hardware.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
        Personally, I would recommend at least installing the SQL Server on the separate Server 2008 license in a virtual machine. See if you can do it on the SBS 2008 DC. .
        That is not a supported virtualisation scenario. You cannot use SBS2008 as the parent. At the very least, DHCP won't work.
        You can, however, turn it around by using the win2008 "second server" as the Host/Parent as well as the SQL2008 computer. You then install all of the SBS 2008 into a Guest/Child virtual machine.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

thanks for the comments, as another option, would using Hyper-V Server R2 as the base be a better performance idea? or just the standard server 2008 with Hyper-V installed

From what I have read Hyper-V R2 performs better than the existing Hyper-V?

The only issue with a console is backing up at file level and vm level

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            You can, however, turn it around by using the win2008 "second server" as the Host/Parent as well as the SQL2008 computer. You then install all of the SBS 2008 into a Guest/Child virtual machine.
            That will work, as long as you either have a second DC that isn't a VM on that physical server, or don't join the host OS to the domain. Unless I've misread your suggestion.

Edit: I suppose you could make the host machine a DC too.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              That is not a supported virtualisation scenario. You cannot use SBS2008 as the parent. At the very least, DHCP won't work.
              I got my scenarios reversed. Thanks for the rebound.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Well it seems the Hyper-V route wont be suitable as I have discovered that they also fax from their current server using a 3rd party application, also their ERP system uses it too, hooked up to the server is a USB 56k modem which has been doing the job fine.

So it's back to installing it all on one server as one install.

Comment

Reconsider!
                  There are several products which connect your phyical com port to your VM - I just can't remember any of them off hand
                  Alternatively you could use your host as the Fax server (which definitely should not be a DC or even joined to the domain)
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X