X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me connect my printer

hello all

i also want to connect to a printer

the said printer is a Canon 2900 and its connected to a PC name kustkare through the PC's usb port.

the said PC kustkare belong in the domain named ITpark.

now my PC named deca has a domain named uptown. but both this 2-PC kustkare and deca are under 1-roof or its inside the the server machine that is being configured as a domain controller which is the ITpark.

now, the said printer Canon 2900 is shared since i've seen it with it icon 'hand's'. but its being limited only to few user who can access it.

my inquiry is that i can manage to connect to the said printer Canon 2900 if ever i have the right to access and change the domain controller ITpark?

i have the administrator-rights but i just don't have the idea what to change in its settings or configuration.

please help.

cheers!

Re: Help me connect my printer

What OS are you using?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
      What OS are you using?

hello ahinson

i'm using Win XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

hoping i can manage to connect to the said printer ... soon.

cheers!

Comment

So where does SBS Server come in on this question?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          So where does SBS Server come in on this question?

hello biggles77

the printer Canon 2900 is connected to the usb port of PC kustkare in which the said PC us under the domain ITpark.

and the way i understand it, the machine ITpark which has an OS of Win Server 2003 and has an Active Directories is the SBS Server.

now, my PC which has a hostname deca belongs to domain uptown which doesn't exist anymore in the network since the said machine has been removed upon transferring to another location (actual place).

i didn't change the domain of PC deca since it can access all the directories in the network except for the Canon 2900 printer.

i really need to have a connection to the Canon 2900 printer considering of the daily hardcopy i needed to submit. somehow, i just bring the PC deca near the said printer and detached the usb connector from PC kustkare and transfer it locally now to PC deca.

this is my predicament

is it possible that the said Canon 2900 printer is configured locally in the PC kustkare that everytime if anyone tried to access it will request or require to input a username and password? or this configuration can also be setup in the domain controller ITpark which has the Active Directory??

hoping to be enlighten accordingly

cheers!

Comment

Please make a drawing of the setup. I find the description very confusing. Is Deca PC that was on the Uptown Domain (which doesn't exist anymore), is Deca physically on the ITpark Domain?

A diagram, use MSPaint if necessary.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Whilst I certainly support Biggles77 idea of a sketch/diagram, my understanding is that the OP has a guest computer in the domain that he wants to print from. There are IMHO 2 ways to tackle this:

1: to allow Guests to print from this printer and to configure accordingly or
              2: make sure that there is a Username/Password combination in AD of ITPark which matches the logon credentials of the DECA computer, so it would work via Pass Through Authentication (PTA)

Then again I could be completely wrong. It happened once before in 1978
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

hello teiger and biggles77

the deca is a PC, and thats it ... its hostname is deca. it has a domain named uptown that doesn't exist anymore since it was removed upon transferring to a new (actual/physical) location.

the current domain is named ITpark, and that is where the printer with model Canon 2900 is atttached to PC with hostname kustkare.

any way, i guess though i haven't tested or tried it yet but perhaps teiger is right that their must be a Username/Password combination in AD of ITpark which matches the logon credentials of the deca computer, so it would work via Pass Through Authentication (PTA).

however, i think i still need to be sure so if ever their are changes that i will make or add in the AD ITpark ... it will have a minimal effect if ever it may cause some trouble later (hoping u get what i mean).

on the other hand, i'll just update this post of mine with that sketch/drawing in MSPaint.

hoping it is now much clearer

cheers!

Comment

Get a USB ethernet print server and hook up the printer to it. From there depending on the server configuration you can access the printer multiple ways.

Did you set up this network or do you have an IT staff?
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is there any reason why you can't remove Deca from the Domain it is no longer connected to Uptown (or exists) and join it to the Domain that does exist it is (?) physically connected to, ITpark, but not a member of?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X