Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with SBS2008 POP3

Hello Folks,

I am new to SBS and in fact have very limited experience with windows servers ( as a network engineer, I do have to set up IAS / IIS / FTP and have some experience in my old company setting up exchange and AD on windows 2000). So I do have lots of questions and hopefully you will not mind advising me on these.

1. We have a small office with about 6 PCs that are now connected as peer to peer network and have the email hosted thru external webhost, to which all the PCs ( XP SP2 with outlook) POP and SMTP. There are two contractor users, who also have email thru teh same domain and host.

2. Assume the domain name is mydomainname.com (actually it is 20 character long), so when I install SBS, I will not be able to use the same external domain name as internal domain name because of length. Also we were planning to initially utilize POP3 connector as part of SBS to download emails to SBS exchange from external email hosting company (by creating all 10 email accounts on the SBS exchange) and let it to supply the recieved emails to the users ( which will now become domain users).

So to start with, my internal domain name will be something like domain.local and external domain name is mydomainname.com, with user IDs of a.bcd.

I will create user accounts on SBS with something like abcd and it will then append local domain name to create email addresses in exchange to be [email protected]. Where will be the matching or one to one correspondent for internal email address to external email address take place? I hope this is set up under POP3 connector configuration.

The two contractors will not join domain and hence will continue using direct SMTP / POP to fetch their emails from external party. Believe we have SSL/SMTP presently set up.

3. Further, all emails now will be sent directly off the SBS exchange SMTP rather than routing thru external email host, but received emails will still come thru external host via POP3. Do you see any issues with this? We do have static address business class DSL thru Telco so, I do not expect port 25 to be blocked.

I also read about SmartHost wherein, I can set up sent emails also thru external email provider, if there is any issue with my above approach.

4. To be on safe side, I plan to back up existing outlook PST files and user data on an external drive and then upload the same to a data partition on SBS (which will have three 300GB drives for a hardware RAID set up and three partitions created). I hope we can import these PST files into SBS exchange.

5. I did read that SBS has a web based domain joining wizard for the individual PCs to become part of domain. I will first create all user accounts and then have each user access server via the weblink that should permit the users to be able to specify their existing My Documents, applications and user profile to be able to transport to new domain profile. Please confirm if this is true and advise a suitable brief document on this.

6. I have one user who has some application installed that required local admin rights. I hope I can still set up this user to be standard user on domain but provide local PC admin rights via user / computer set up thru domain/ AD.

I may have few more addional questions as I study, but for now seems like this is it. My boss had already ordered a HP Prolinat server with 4GB RAM and hopefully this will be okay for small office. Requirement is 2GB minimum and 4MB recommended. We do not have any plans for share point or running a local web service, but we will be setting up AVG Internet security SBS edition on it.

Will much appreciate all and any guidance.

Thanks

Re: Help with SBS2008 POP3

Originally posted by dpsguard View Post
    6. I have one user who has some application installed that required local admin rights. I hope I can still set up this user to be standard user on domain but provide local PC admin rights via user / computer set up thru domain/ AD.
    Yes - Google "group policy restricted groups"

Better yet, don't do that. Find out using Process Explorer exactly where in the filesystem and/or registry the program needs access and then grant the user permissions to those areas. Then go yell at the developer until they release a version that works properly

That way, you greatly reduce what that user can, but shouldn't, do.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks Gareth. Much appreciate for your prompt support.

As regards to my other points, do you think, I am on right track?

I am very knew to the forum, so do don't know how to award points. I will explore and suotably give you the points.

Comment

Hello All,

Could you please look into my requirements and advise? I need to understand and implement the server in next few days.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi,

Anyone there who can help please?

Thanks

Comment

Doesn't really seem necessary to keep on bumping the thread... if someone has anything to contribute then they will do.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X