Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add an SBS 2008 server into 2008 domain

Hi All

Have a client who currently has a small 2008 domain running one 2008 standard server.
    For various reasons the current server needs to be removed from the network, i want to add a SBS 2008 server onto the domain to take over the running of the domain.
    Do i still have to go through the migration steps that you would do for adding an SBS 2008 server onto a 2003 network ( KB102937) or can i just add it onto the network, transfer roles etc and then demote the other server?

thanks

Nick

Re: Add an SBS 2008 server into 2008 domain

As far as I know, you would need to migrate. I don't believe the ability to 'take over' an existing domain has been added in SBS 2008.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thanks for the quick response...that's pretty much what i figured, added more complications into my life but no change there....

thanks

Nick

Comment

I am not sure as I haven't tried it myself, however it was possible to install a SBS 2003 in an existing Domain so I can't see why it can't be possible in 2008.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X