Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can see a file in Windows Explorer, not within an application's "open file" dialog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can see a file in Windows Explorer, not within an application's "open file" dialog

I'm running SBS 2008 Standard Edition on a physical server. All the latest patches are applied.

I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 for Windows Server Enterprise Edition. I'm using the app's MMC console to adminster it. I am trying to add a process exclusion by finding the process's executable file within the Windows file system. The executable I'd like to exclude is inetinfo.exe. I can browse to C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe from within Windows Explorer. However, when I try to browse to the process executable from within Kaspersky's "adding a trusted process" dialog box and navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\ folder I cannot see that .exe file. There are a few other things I cannot see as well. For instance, I can see both inetmgr.exe and inetmgr6.exe from within Windows Explorer but I can only see Inetmgr6 from within the Kaspersky "Adding a trusted process" dialog box. I have launched the Kaspersky 6.0 MMC as an administrator and still cannot see the files in question. Does anyone have a possible solution for this? Nothing back from Kaspersky yet, but it seems to me that this might be more of a permission/file system/OS issue to me.

Thanks,
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected]ail.com || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Can see a file in Windows Explorer, not within an application's "open file" dialo

Just to confirm, the path you are accessing is a local path, not a share path? In which case, even if it is a permissions issue then the file should still be visible, since ABE can only be enabled on shares. If you start to type the filename in the filename field, does the one you want appear in the list of selections?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Can see a file in Windows Explorer, not within an application's "open file" dialo

It is a local path (C: drive). No, the filename does not appear when I type it in the filename field. Other files appear but as I add letters the available files dwindle until I almost type the whole filename at which point there are no autocomplete selections.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Is it possible that Kapersky has a built-in default exclusion list and therefore doesn't allow you to see the file as it's already excluded? Inetinfo.exe is a pretty standard exclusion for AV products so maybe they've already excluded it.

I know it sounds wacky but I'm thinking about BackupExec's built-in file exlusion list while I'm writing this.

Comment

To my remembrance there was no default process exclusions in KAV. I just checked my "trusted processes" list and inetinfo.exe is not included. The only ones that are excluded are the ones that I placed there. For those interested, I blogged about where I found the myriad Exchange 2007 related processes that have to be excluded. In the end, there were a number of them that I couldn't find. What a pain.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Working...
          X