Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange problem with backup

it's for me an hell....
    In a server of my customer i' ve planned a daily backup with a command line script i.e (ntbackup backup @myselection.bks /um and so on) often (always !!!!!) the system don't execute the backup or the report is blank, but if i try to run the procedure manually is work fine always. The script is planned in operation planned of the sytem and the report give me every day the return code 0x0 (good). Well the system is windows 2003 sbs exchange server and the tape is tandberg slr7. The selection contain system state; a lot of customer files; and the 1st storage group of exchange.
    Now could help me for obtain a reliability backup please
    Regards Gian Luca

Are you sure that ntbackup of 2003 supports the /um switch?

the help file does not mention this switch.
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

hello
      I use always this switch for use a media not imported from removable storage, have you an idea???

Comment

Any errors on event log?
        Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
        HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
        the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

hi Shai
          No error events in the system/application log file; randomly the log of ntbackup is blank.
          After your post i' ve review all the switch of ntbackup; well if i remove the parameter /um; could you tell me what can do ntbackup to use a tape is this is not labledor is new or if came from another archive . In the past version of w2k server was impossible execute a backup without this parameter from command line.
          If you have any suggestion or idea will be appreciated
          Ciao Gian Luca

Comment

Your script obviously works if when you run it manually its ok.

The problem must lie with the scheduled task.

Can you post your script for us to look at??

Comment

Re: strange problem with backup

Gaddo

Why don't you use the Backup console in the server management console. I know it's a wizard, and not a script, but it wrotes one for you and works - especially after SP1 fixed the VSS problems.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

hi everyone
                i come back from a long period of holiday......
                For: wulleb1 the next day i will send a script so you can see it
                For: Tiger i don't use the wizard of backup console because is for me a nightmare i remember all the problem with w2k backup

Comment

Don't compare the Wizard in 2003 with that of 2000 - different beasts.
                  Anyway since YOUR script isn't working anyway, why not try the built-in one (Ie the wizard) it just MAY solve your problem.
                  BTW that's TEiger
                  TIA

sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

HI , Gaddo
                    have you resolve your problem ??
                    I have the same thing on server 2003 of my customer.
                    My customer has changed the Tape and the scsi controller but nothing.
                    I have noted some thing :
                    1) When the backup dont'start i find the ntbackup.exe in the memory processes like it was freeze.
                    2) Sometime also when i start ntbackup directly from desktop, nothing happen and the process backup remain in memory....
                    Can you verify this things ??

Comment

Gawd....

/um does work even though it is not documented

If the Device Manager recognises the tape then the wizard works! If you MUST then change it, go into scheduled tasks and edit the entry.
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Try with the SBS wizards. It works!!!

If you create a scheduled task don't forget the user and password.

Anyway I allways use the SBS wizards (in the SBS TO DO console) and it allways works.

Good luck!

Comment

I also use Backup wizard in SBS2003, and it always works fine. I never had a problems with that wizard.
                          By some reasons, on the second SBS2003 server, we use scheduled ntbackup with /um switch.I noticed that sometimes ntbackup log was empty, and ntbackup hang in the memory. What's interesting that I didn't touch ntbackup, and next scheduled backup was always successful....I couldn't find any reason for that behavior, so that eventually we bought more tapes - just 4 sets, separate for each week.
                          This is not the best option, but it gives me some confidence...

good luck,
                          Mihail
                          regards,

Mihail Kravsun
                          MCSA, CCNA

Comment

Working...
                          X