• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 move to bigger disk

Hi
    HP ML350 G5 - Windows SBS2003

Our 146 GB disk 0 is getting to small.
    We want to move to a 300 GB disk, so that we can increase the logical drives C: F: G: up to almost the double in size.

I believed we could make a full NTBackUp with ASR, and then restore to new and bigger partitions on the new disk - but it does not seem to work.

How should I do this ?

Yours sincerely
    Peter

Re: SBS2003 move to bigger disk

Is this a single disk or a RAID array?

If you don't have RAID in place, I would stronly suggest that now is the time to implement it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I know that our version of ghost, provided we do partition images, not disk images, lets us modify the size of the partition we restore to..

I would definitely recommend a RAID solution though as well.. even if it's only RAID1... but then Ghost isn't supported.

do a full backup of absolutely everything
      install the new hardware and create relevant partitions
      boot of a windows cd, and run the full restoration..
      should take care of it
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

An ML350 G5 should take 5 or 6 disk drives, so I'd just add a pair of 300gb drives or whatever size and migrate data to them as appropriate. For example Exchange best practice recommends a seperate partition for transaction logs and the database, and neither should be the system partition.

And if you don't have RAID implemented, do it. Not having RAID in a server is what we referred to at my old work as tickling the testicles of fate. Not a good idea.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Tickling? Sure you weren't flicking them with a wet towel?

*vows silently not to take yet another thread *
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X