Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free space question

Hi

not sure what my questions should be so apologies.

Got an old windows sbs server with exchange 2000 and server 2003.

The system is running a raid and if I right click on the c drive the pi chart shows me I've got 124 gb free

The company run sage MMS and on the c drive they have put a directory called sagemms and shared it.

Sage have now told me that the server is out of space and only has 20mb free!

The main user is running an xppro workstation and they are telling me that if they double click on my computor the "shared MMS" directory lsiting show 20mb free.

Is this a Sage/Server/XP problem? I suspect its a setting put in by Sage technical but they are denying it

thanks

Ian

Re: free space question

Hi,

Are there any events logged and have you got any disk quotas enabled?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi

Must admit I haven't been on site yet to check the logs but I haven't set any disk quotas and I've just been told that on the other systems on the network the low space is not shown

cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by jenodorf View Post
        Must admit I haven't been on site yet to check the logs but I haven't set any disk quotas and I've just been told that on the other systems on the network the low space is not shown
        Even when the same user logs on to them?? If not it's more likely to be a disk quotas scenario as they are calculated based on the file ownership information.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

some things you can look at to clear up space:

C:\windows\system32\logfiles
          There's a microsoft knowledge base trhat's specifically related to the WBEM folder growing too big
          C:\doucments and stetings\user profiles

*temp*
          If you have exchange, you may be able to move your mailstores and your exchange logs onto another disk
          C:\program files\mssql\* - you may be able to move data files to another volume..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am a bit confused with your operating system. Is it SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 or SBS 2000 with Exchange 2000? Is it indeed SBS? If it is then I shall move it to the SBS Forum. Please advise. Thanks.

Also, see if you can get that Sage crap off the C partition. Install another HDD if necessary.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You may want to check using a tool like the open source WinDirStat or closed-source-and-for-pay TreeSize to see what space is being taken up. Of course, if you have some kind of strange corruption issue, the same system calls that the OS is using will be the same ones that the space tool would use and would potentially return the same information. Nonetheless, it's worth a try I suppose.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                You may want to check using a tool like the open source WinDirStat or closed-source-and-for-pay TreeSize to see what space is being taken up. Of course, if you have some kind of strange corruption issue, the same system calls that the OS is using will be the same ones that the space tool would use and would potentially return the same information. Nonetheless, it's worth a try I suppose.
                Tree Size do a freeware version.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Comment

shared drive space

Hi

sure I've raised this issue before but can't find the thread..

Have a server 2003 network connected to xp pro workstations.

On several workstations are mapped drives for Sage, shared docs etc.

On one workstation right clicking .. proporties tells me that all the shared drives are 3gb in size and only have 103mb of free space.

On another workstation the shared drives are shown as 3gb in size with 2.77 gb freee.

As far as I was aware server 2003 does not have size limitations per user

can someone point me in the correct direction as Sage are claiming it could fall over any second

thanks

Ian

Comment

Hi

I started the thread here but I now realise I've posted it in the wrong forum

the server is running SBS 2003 which includes exchange 2000
                    Have a server 2003 network connected to xp pro workstations.

On several workstations are mapped drives for Sage, shared docs etc.

On one workstation right clicking .. proporties tells me that all the shared drives are 3gb in size and only have 103mb of free space.

On another workstation the shared drives are shown as 3gb in size with 2.77 gb freee.

can someone point me in the correct direction as Sage are claiming it could fall over any second

thanks

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by jenodorf View Post
                      I think they do and in SBS they are enabled by default.
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Have we finally settled on an SBS system??

Requested that it be moved to the SBS forum.

Comment

apologies - yes SBS

Ian

Comment

I'll move it now.

Comment

Originally posted by jenodorf
                              the server is running SBS 2003 which includes exchange 2000
                              SBS2003 has Exchange 2003. How have you managed to install Exchange 2000 on it? If you have "modified" the apps that are normally installed them maybe it has affected the free space shown.

However I am more likely to side with L4ndy on this one. Each user will so different free space depending on how much data they have save to their Home Folder on the SBS Server. Quotas are enabled but can be manually changed.

Is this machine all patched up to date?
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X