No announcement yet.

dicomission SBS2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dicomission SBS2008

Hi Everyone ,
    sorry i post another post on it, but i did something else from what the current articles have said
    a related petri post on it is here.

I want to decomission my SBS 2003 SP2
    what i did so far is :
    1.installed another Windows 2008 server and promoted to DC and GC
    2. installed exchange 2007 SP1 on the new Win2008 and moved all exchange mailboxes and stores to the new exchange.
    3. uninstalled the exchange 2003 from the SBS
    4. moved FSMO roles to the new 2008 DC
    5. disabled the GC settings on the SBS

now when I run dcpromo to demote the SBS to a member server, on the part that it allows you to check a box stating that its the last domain controller in the domain, I ofcourse did not checked it since i have the 2008 DC,
    it pops up a message that it can connect to anyother domain controller and if i want to continue?

at this point I cancelled the DCpromo demotion.

do that message comes bacuse its an SBS and if I'll continue it will be fine ? it wont harm the AD on the 2008 ?

please advice

Re: dicomission SBS2008

It's not the last DC in the domain though.

i know

but thats what it pops up...

Power the SBS box off for a week and see if you have any problems with the domain. If not, I would be tempted to treat it as a failed DC and clean the metadata for it using NTDSUTIL and the appropriate DNS and AD Sites and Services entries.

we I did power it off for 2 days and nothing has happend..

Ok. Make sure you back the SBS box up, just in case, and then power off for a week and then reinstall the box and carry out the other suggestions below to remove the metadata.