Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Complexity help

Dear Group,
    This is my first post here and I want to say thank you for the help in advance. I have read the posts that talk about disabling the password complexity for my sbs2008 and even after all of the posts and following the instructions, I am still having an issue.

During the installation of SBS 2008, it asked for a name, username, and password. For example sake, I used Andrew for the name and "^andrew1" for the password. I now want to change that account password to "aaaaaaaa". After changing the complexity requirements, per the instruction at "http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=33713&highlight=disable+complexit y" and other places, I can create a new domain account and use any password I want. Thus the complexity is turned off for domain accounts (created by admin tools -> active directory users and computers).

After the above and a gpupdate /force, and even a restart, I still cannot change that initial Andrew account password to "aaaaaaaa". I then went into the local group policy and checked the settings and apparently they must migrate down and those are set the same as the domain GP. Still no luck... Just for testing, I decided to try and change the password to another that would fit the complexity requirements, such as "^andrew2" and it gave the same error:

“Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain”

And now I am trying to get some help. I should mention that I own my own pc repair shop, but rarely work on servers so I know some, but not nearly as much as you all. This server install was a reinstall and on the previous installation, I was able to do this step with no problem.

I have attached a screen shots to show my settings as of now, that don't work... Thanks for any help you can provide...

Andrew
    Attached Files

Re: Password Complexity help

Password policy is generally set in the default domain policy. Looking at the settings you have provided, it remembers the last 24 passwords. Are you testing with a unique password each time? Resetting a password using AD Users and Computers will probably allow you to reset the password to ones used before. Worth a try as well for testing purposes.

Also, can you summarise what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

Virtual,
      Thank you for the help. The overall goal is to turn off the complexity so I no longer receive the error message and can set the default Andrew account to a password that is 7 alpha characters. So far, after what I have done, I cannot do it without the error.

Thanks.
      Andrew

Comment

I also set the history, length, and reversible encryption to not defined, forced the update and still it will not allow me to change the password.

Thanks.
        Andrew

Comment

Try installing Specops Password Policy Basic. It will tell you what password policy is in place and where it's coming from. It also let's you check which password policy affects a particular user.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Try installing Specops Password Policy Basic. It will tell you what password policy is in place and where it's coming from. It also let's you check which password policy affects a particular user.
            Thanks for the suggestion. I tried installing and it says that it is only for server 2008. It recommends going to Password Policy 2.

Andrew

Comment

Any other suggestions that I could try? Thanks.

Comment

Do you have another server or a workstation that you could try installing the Specops software on?

Comment

Thank you for your help. I ended up going back in, resetting the values back to standard, then disabled complexity and turned the minimum password age to 0 and its all working.

Andrew

Comment

In 2003, there was a Domain Controller Controller Security Policy and a Domain Security Policy. Does Server 2008 not have the same/similar setup? (Sorry, on the wrong laptop without my VMs) I remember I always went to the Domain Security Policy to modify the server passwords when it needed to be the Domain Controller Controller Security Policy.

Are you wanting to change the complexity so you can change the password complexity for a User Account to logon to the SBS Server or to logon to a workstation?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X