No announcement yet.

help running the ADprep.exe (schema error)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help running the ADprep.exe (schema error)

ive got a domain with one DC (SBS2000- SP4, windows version 5.00.X.X).
    i've been trying to promote another server (2003, SP2) because my SBS is pretty old and slow.
    when i started the dcpromo i got an error:
    Active Directory Installation Wizard
    The operation failed because:

The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003.
    Use the Adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and the domain. For more information about using the Adprep,
    see Active Directory Help.

"The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer."

later on i was told by the wizard to run the adprep.exe on the new server.
    i did so but got another error that i can only do so on an existing DC so i ran it on my SBS (with /forestprep) but got errors again:
    Adprep was unable to copy setup files from installation point to local machine. [Status/Consequence] Adprep has stopped without making changes.
    [User Action]
    Make sure you run adprep.exe under the directory that contains the following files: schema.ini, sch*.ldf, dcpromo.cs_ and 409.cs_. The recommended way is running adprep.exe from installation media, such as CD-ROM or network share. Check the log file Adprep.log in the system root System32\Debug\Adprep\Logs directory for more information.

i dont know what else to do in order to promote my 2003server, can you help me?

Re: help running the ADprep.exe (schema error)

You need to use the ADPREP on the Windows 2003 CD and make sure you run it using an account, which is a schema admin and enterprise admin. It needs to be run on the SBS box. Make sure you back the SBS box up first of all.

Re: help running the ADprep.exe (schema error)

And if the 2003 Server is R2 edition, run the adprep from the 2nd CD in the package on the SBS server

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.