No announcement yet.

Wonky Profile Server 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky Profile Server 2008

Hi all,

Domain administrator account on member server (used for file storage) logon took forever with the "waiting for group policy client" after setting printer preferences in GPO. Removed the GPO and rebooted server, failed safe boot several times in a row stating that the last windows updates (0 out of 3) failed to install correctly and then went on a half hour reboot cycle until it sorted itself out. Funnily enough the last updates were over a month ago. Finally got in with domain admin account and half of all server apps would not launch, blocked out of services so logged off which hung the server and hard booted again. Created another domain admin account and logged in with that flawlessly. Gpresult /r results in access denied on wonky admin account. Deleted most of the profile and ran a virus scan with ESET (after removing Sophos). This account does work on the domain controller and can only assume that when logging on with this account it tries to apply the GPO it already has for some reason and keeps on hanging. I can't delete all the old domain admin profile that's wonky without safe booting I guess. ESET found a couple of worms and removed. Here's what I get running gpupdate now:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\techniker.local\SysVol\techniker.local\Policies\ {79FDEA65-B6D0-4748-A135-6452BC1823AD}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful.

Any clues on how I find out which GPO this {79FDEA65-B6D0-4748-A135-6452BC1823AD} relates to?

I can backslash to this file on the SBS 2008 DC from the Server 2008 box, open and read it. So presuming it's not a security flaw...

Any help appreciated!

Re: Wonky Profile Server 2008

In the Group Policy Management console, select each GPO in the left pane one at a time, in the right pane select the details tab and you'll see the Unique ID of the GPO:
    {79FDEA65-B6D0-4748-A135-6452BC1823AD} for instance.