Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps to reinstall DNS and AD in SBS 2003

Hi Everyone.
    I hope everybody is haveing a great day!!!!!
    I have a problem with a client's SBS 2003 machine.
    Everyone can have access to the internet but can't access the server. It can be seen from network neighborhood but can't access it.
    The router is doing the DHCP and I guess that is why the work stations can see the outside world. The problem with the SBS 2003 is that it can;t access the internet, it only has one NIC, and it has a huge list of error in the avent viwer about DNS and Active directory no t working properly. If I want to create a new or view an exisisting user, I get an error after waiting for long time that the AD is not responding and then there is not list of users.
    Furthermore, there is no forwarding information nor zones. (it is empty)
    At this point, I believe it will take longer to figure out what is wrong and try to fix it than uninstall AD and DNS and resinstall it again. The good thing is that the client only uses the SBS 2003 machine for file server; no exchange, no back up, etc.
    I have made a couple of SBS 2003 installations from new but I have never uninstall it and re install it again.
    My questions are:
    what is the proper way to uninstall it and what will the steps be?
    What happend with the data folders that are being shared among the users and other data folders? Are they remain intacted? What are the cosequences of uninstall/reinstall?
    Can anybody help me?

Francisco.
    Thank you

Re: Steps to reinstall DNS and AD in SBS 2003

Backup whatever data/folders you require and reinstall SBS. You can do a fresh install from the installation CD's and ensure you format the drive partition as you do it. There are no consequences at all other than loss of data that you may not have backed up. Assuming the data/folders reside elsewhere and not SBS server there should be no problems.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree - reinstalling SBS from scratch and recovering AD, Exchange and your data from a backup will likely be a faster and less painful experience than trying to remove core functionality from SBS. SBS isn't designed to have those components removed, even if only temporary.

Worth a try though... you say there are no forward lookup zones in DNS? Try recreating the zone for your domain - I have no idea though if it'll be repopulated with the necessary records, but can't hurt to try.

One small suggestion though would be to move DHCP to the SBS server after it's rebuilt and to disable it on the router.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for responding!!!!!!
        So I have to reinstall the whole operating system?
        I see your pint and I agree, but that will mean that the rest of applicationes will have to be reinstall and I know for sure that at least one (ACT) the installation CD is missing!
        I will try to persue the client to do a reinstallation of the SBS.
        One more question, though. What will happen with the licensees (5 that comes with it) can they be reused?
        THank you again for your help!!!
        Francisco

Comment

If you mean the 5 CALs that come with it, yes they can be reused. From memory, SBS requires CALs to be activated when they are added (can't remember if the default 5 are installed by default or have to be installed after installation though) - if you run into trouble activating, it's a free call to Microsoft (in some countries).

We're assuming you've already tried restoring the server from a backup, without success.

So yes, reinstalling is likely to be the simplest option.

Any idea what happened to break it in the first place?
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by fflores818 View Post
            Thank you for responding!!!!!!
            So I have to reinstall the whole operating system?
            I see your pint and I agree, but that will mean that the rest of applicationes will have to be reinstall and I know for sure that at least one (ACT) the installation CD is missing!
            I will try to persue the client to do a reinstallation of the SBS.
            One more question, though. What will happen with the licensees (5 that comes with it) can they be reused?
            THank you again for your help!!!
            Francisco
            If you have any more than the default licensed 5 they can be backed up from "Server management" and restored to the new install.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              I'm inclined to agree - reinstalling SBS from scratch and recovering AD, Exchange and your data from a backup will likely be a faster and less painful experience than trying to remove core functionality from SBS. SBS isn't designed to have those components removed, even if only temporary.

Worth a try though... you say there are no forward lookup zones in DNS? Try recreating the zone for your domain - I have no idea though if it'll be repopulated with the necessary records, but can't hurt to try.

One small suggestion though would be to move DHCP to the SBS server after it's rebuilt and to disable it on the router.
              DHCP is installed in SBS by default and authorized. To the OP, was someone else supporting this network before yourself?

Comment

To answer the questions to both of you;
                It seems that an ex-employee wanted to try to fix a small problem and
                not only he did not fixed but corrupted the DNS and/or the AD; that is why no one can log in to the server, actually even though the work stations ask for user name, password, and domain, user can actually be able to get into their work stations, see the server but can't access it.

No one really serviced the server before but the ex-employee. I was called in after that and after going through the work stations (5 of them, including a printer) and looking in the server, I realised that there was something wrong with the DNS and/or AD.
                I have not try to restore the server from back up. The only back up there is, is for files and folders but that's it.

I have a question. When I try to re install the SBS from scratch, when it comes to the point of selecting the how I connect to the ISP (using one or two NIC), I will select the one with one NIC. This option will require to have an external firewall (which the client do not have - other than the Linksys router firewall)
                is this something scured enough until they get something better like a CISCO or SonicWall? With this configuration, the IP address set up for the server is the same for the DNS?

Thank you

Comment

The single NIC setup is better for security as it takes the DC away from the edge. Placing the DC at the edge (2 NICs) is supported in SBS 2003, but it's not advisable to do this. Do you have Standard or Premium? The only reason I can think of to configure an SBS server in this way is when you're using ISA Server on SBS Premium as a firewall. And even then I'd still want it behind a hardware firewall (a consumer-grade broadband router is better than nothing).

While I personally try to avoid Linksys, that's really down to personal preference rather than any particular known issues. Just lock it down tightly - don't allow management of the router from the WAN interface (if that can be configured) and configure it to only selectively unblock the ports you need open (eg the ports required for Exchange). You are probably already aware that opening ports on most firewalls is only required for incoming connections (eg an external user trying to access OWA) rather than outgoing connections (someone in the network trying to go to a website) as most firewalls by default do not block outgoing connections. When I say most firewalls, I am mainly referring to consumer-level routers, although software firewalls and enterprise products may exhibit this behaviour too. RRaS on Windows Server for exampe doesn't filter outgoing connections.

Disable DHCP on the router - use the DC instead. If for example you give the router the IP address 192.168.100.1 and the SBS server the IP address 192.168.100.100...

Set the SBS to have a static IP of 192.168.100.100, DNS as 127.0.0.1 (should be done by the wizard AFAIK) and default gateway 192.168.100.1

Configure DHCP options on the DC as follows:
                  • Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1
                  • DNS Servers: 192.168.100.100

Configure DNS forwarders on the DC with the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers.

As always with SBS, 99% of the tasks required need to be done using the appropriate wizard.

Also, when you setup a backup schedule, be sure to include Exchange and Active Directory (part of the System State) - backing up just files means you have no email being backed up, and I'm sure you know the importance of AD )

As for users being able to logon to workstations with the server down - the computers are caching the users' credentials, thus allowing them to logon even though the server is offline. This is the default behaviour but can be changed if necessary. Since there's no access to the fileshares on the server though, chances are they aren't getting much done
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 26th August 2009, 02:20.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I would question the last poster's statement of one NIC being more secure that two, but that is a mute point. Even with ISA and/or 2 NICS you need a consumer-grade router/firewall (at least). So the SBS is still only one hop beg=hind it in both cases. With 2 NICS you have all workstations trafficked through the SBS which may be better for control and monitoring (eg blocking from stations from reaching the Internet if desired) and with workstations downloading the junk/malware etc which attacks the network, you maybe better off controlling them rather than worrying about protecting the server (which is a: much better protected and b: not used to DL all the junk anyway - hopefully!)

This may all however be a mute point, as SBS 2008 is a one NIC only solution. So to be prepared for upgrade/migration in the future, I would recommend you rebuild with one NIC for now.

After reinstall, the required tasks are set out for you in a TO-DO list . This consists mainly of running various wizards which will do the work for you. In case of doubt, UTFW (= Use The F..... Wizard) rather than try and work out what adding forwarders and DHCP parameters is, as given above.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X