Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antivirus exceptions and SBS 2008 (and any other Windows Server for that matter)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antivirus exceptions and SBS 2008 (and any other Windows Server for that matter)

I've slogged through numerous KB articles and blog posts to compile a list of all the antivirus exceptions that are recommended specifically for SBS 2008 and also for the individual components that SBS 2008 Standard includes (anyone interested in seeing it?). However, a thought occurred to me as I was putting these exclusions into my antivirus software: What if virus writers place their nefarious files in those exclusion places? Real time scanning should detect malware if it's executed of course. Also, the SBS machine is used sparingly and therefore has a reduced possibility for infection. However, Id like to know what everyone else does for antivirus on their SBS machines and even their non SBS servers as well.

Just to clarify, I'm speaking of file based antivirus. Not Exchange or Sharepoint level antivirus. I do use an Exchange level scanner. However, I haven't ventured into Sharepoint antivirus yet.

If you install SQL Server do you make the proper file based antivirus exceptions? If you have an IIS box? Sharepoint? Even for DNS/DHCP servers? Or do you just let the A/V do what it does without bothering with exceptions?

There are varied opinions bandied about, but I'd like to get a healthy discussion going if possible.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Antivirus exceptions and SBS 2008 (and any other Windows Server for that matter)

We use NOD32 with no exceptions configured - no need for them. We test before deployment and have yet to find anything that it breaks. Our sister company on the other hand have tried several prodcuts and have run into all sorts of problems due to exceptions.

Basically, I view exceptions as being a last resort, when I'd much rather choose the best tool for the job.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Antivirus exceptions and SBS 2008 (and any other Windows Server for that matter)

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Our sister company on the other hand have tried several prodcuts and have run into all sorts of problems due to exceptions.
      Problems due to exceptions? As in, they didn't scan an area that they should have? Or vice versa?

EDIT: Holy Holsteins, Batman!! I posted this and then just a little under two hours later I Googled for "dns server antivirus exceptions" (sans the quotes) and saw a post that looked promising. In fact, it was the very first return. I then noticed it was from Petri.co.il. I felt sheepish wondering if I had missed a Petri article and had possibly posted this question when an answer already existed. I clicked through... and it was this very thread! Wow, that's fast. Well done, Googlebot. Well done.
      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 25th August 2009, 20:43.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Just as your cat owns you, Google owns your thread

Their problems were due to not configuring exceptions, and <unnamed product> mistaking their finance application as a virus. Granted, it is written in VFP 6, but still... not great when their IT staff report to the FD.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I always follow the recommendations of MS and the recommendations of the AV vendor regarding exceptions. I have yet (knock on wood) to experience infections or issues as a result.

Comment

For those interested, I blogged the mammoth amount of exceptions I included. What a pain.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Hmm. Not sure I'd be keen on running an AV package that needs the Active Directory database to be set as an exception. Good to see someone documenting their setup thoroughly though
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Hmm. Not sure I'd be keen on running an AV package that needs the Active Directory database to be set as an exception. Good to see someone documenting their setup thoroughly though
                I've never sen an antivirus software that didn't except that file. In fact, MSFT themselves recommends it to be excepted. Really, anything that's a database should be excepted as far as I'm concerned.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                X