No announcement yet.

Home folder connect syntax

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home folder connect syntax

Hi All

I am new to the forum and new to sbs 2008.

In sbs 2008 it seems possible to reference the drive letter in a connect string as follows

In contract with SBS 2003, "users" would have had to be a shared folder and the "e$" would not be permitted.

The problem I am having is that the "Home folder" connect command (in the "User properties -> Profile" tab) in AD works using the above mentioned directory reference (\\machine_name\e$\users\bob) and the directory "bob" get created as expected. However, the drive is not being mapped when user log onto their machines.

Any suggestions please

Re: Home folder connect syntax

try just :
    \\IP/Machine_name\shared_folder(and not the hierarchical path)\%username%(or the name of user)

Sth like : \\DC2008\users\%username%

The syntax is : Machine\shared folder\username

You click on your user properties>>profile>>homefolmder>>connect>>[choose drive letter]>>\\DC2008\users\%username%.
    Otherwise you can use script with net use mapping.

Last edited by Myrkul; 21st August 2009, 20:53.

Thanks Myrkul

I guess the question was more about the fact that in SBS 2008 Windows allows the use of the $ sign in the connect string and the folder is not a shared folder?

Can anyone confirm whether this syntax is correct in SBS2008

Since Windows creates the "bob" directory, I would have assumed the syntax to be correct and the drive should get mapped?

E$ is the hidden share that's automatically created for the hard drive volume with drive letter E. Same as in 2003.

Generally you shouldn't use that as a "standard" share for use by users. I'd suggest you create new shares as required, with more appropriate permissions.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.