X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Address Policy

Hi There,
    Hope someone can help Please.

1. I have an email hosted online ([email protected])
    2. I have recently setup SBS 2008 with domain Name @melior.local.
    3. I have installed a Pop 3 Connector to download my emails from "melior.com" to "Melior.local".

HOWEVER, MY BOSS HAS SAID, I WANT THE AUTHORITATIVE MAILING SYSTEM TO BE MELIOR.COM AND NOT MELIOR.LOCAL.

What i want to achieve.

1. All Internal emails should be send to hosted service online. Pop Connector should now download to the internal recipients Mailbox. this is weird but thats what my boss wants. I need a doc to tell him its not possible as well if i am right.

Thanks for your assistance

Re: Email Address Policy

It is possible. And assuming you've not configured Exchange to "host" the mail for melior.com, that's what should already be happening, assuming I've understood your question correctly.

[email protected] sends an email to [email protected]

That email goes to the external server, because that is the MX server for the domain melior.com. It goes through Exchange (as does all outgoing mail from your users) but Exchange does not "receive" the message. If you disable the POP collector temporarily you should stop seeing the messages appearing in peoples Exchange inboxes.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Had a similar problem described to me and I'm off to take a look at it first-hand tomorrow...

@koleajayi: Did you use the SBS console and perform the getting started tasks listed there after the installation? Specifically, I'd like to know if you if you ran IAMW and if so, did you enter your internet address (melior.com)?
      Last edited by aicon; 2nd September 2009, 04:04. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

As a well intentioned amateur (DIY) I would have thought that you simply send your emails out via an SMTP connector (at your ISP) and you forward all incoming mail to your Exchange Server from your ISP. This is what I do and it seems to work OK for me.

Thought it might help if I add the following. The above does not use the POP mailbox at your ISP. In fact this is not the recommended way for SBS. You simply instruct (varies with ISP) to foward ALL mail for the/your domain to your exchange server which then sorts and distributes internally.

Peter
        Last edited by PeterL; 4th September 2009, 15:15. Reason: additional info

Comment

/me whispers, Use the Wizards Luke, err sorry, koleajayi.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X