Get error using Connect Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get error using Connect Computer

I've just done a fresh installation of SBS 2008 and am attempting to join the first computer to the domain. I've tried both connecting via http://connect and running the launcher.exe from a thumb drive.

When I try to connect to http://connect I get: "I.E. cannot display the webpage". I've tried https as well.

When I run launcher.exe from a thumb drive I get: "An error occurred while downloading the Connect Computer application".

The computer attempting to join is getting it's IP from the SBS box and it's IP configuration is accurate.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,
    Mark Kelly

Re: Get error using Connect Computer

Check the firewall on the SBS box and see if HTTP traffic is being blocked.

Check IIS on the server to make sure that website is running and accessible.

Anything in the event logs on the server?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Yeh, http traffic is allowed in the SBS firewall.

The site called "SBS Client Deployment Applications" in IIS is started and active. In fact it comes up from the SBS Browser.

I don't see anything in the event logs that might pertain to this issue.

Comment

If you ping the server from the workstation, both by hostname and by the relevant CNAME (in this instance, connect) do they both resolve to the correct IP, and do you get a response?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I was putting of my daily bike ride. Had to get it in . I get a ping response from the HOSTNAME but not from the CNAME. That leads me to DNS so I checked DNS and there is a CNAME for connect and it's set to static.

Comment

Forgot to mention, a ping from the server itself of connect resolves to the correct IP.

Comment

And the workstation is configured to use the SBS as its primary DNS?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Yes it it. It's quite baffling.

Comment

Maybe you need to reboot the workstation three times

That's an odd one. Do you have other computers you can try it with instead? If not, boot tihs one from a Linux live CD and see if you can access http://connect - I doubt you'll be able to join it to the domain though
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I ended up redoing the install and it works now. Strange. Thanks for you attempts at helping me. I really appreciate it!

Comment

What did you reinstall, the client or the server?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

The Server.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with your fix.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                          X