No announcement yet.

Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

I worked on a 2003 Standard to SBS 2008 migration over the weekend. We could not get it to work. I’m hoping for a little help from the community. These are the steps I took.
    2003Std running DC, DHCP, File and print
    I then added a temporary DC, since documentation seemed to say that a time bomb would be placed on the existing server, forcing it to be shutdown in 21 days.
    Step 1
    Add temporary DC
    TempDC running DC and DNS, then took DHCP and FSMO. Network->
    TempDC 2003Std
    DC DC
    I then went through the migration process. I missed a couple things the first time (manually performing adprep). I then ran it a couple more times, running into issues but always getting further. It would join the domain and dcpromo itself, but then fail.
    I found this article which helped me ( Then I got stuck part way through the ‘Connecting your server’ screen. It kept popping up and telling me that AD was taking longer to replicate than expected. I shutdown 2003Std and the installation finished. I guess it was trying to talk to both DCs. Unfortunately, the installation finished with some “issues”. The issues were:
    ExtendLicensingAD: The schema is not extended for the Licensing service.
    InstallExchangeTask: Exchange Server 2007 cannot be installed.
    CreatePolicyForRAS: The Group Policy setting for the virtual private network cannot be created.
    ConfigureSharePointTask: Windows SharePoint Services is not configured.
    ConfigureOUTask: Organizational units in Active Directory Domain Services cannot be configured.
    Obviously I can not use this server. No Exchange – no worky. Is it possible to kick off the installation from here? The server is a DC and functioning in the domain. It never did grab the FSMO roles, but it did steal DHCP. Can I just, somehow, start the Exchange and Sharepoint installation?

Re: Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

Luckily, I managed to fix it. I realized I had not demoted the DC on one of my failed installs. Since it had joined the domain and promoted itself, I should have run dcpromo to demote it, then removed it and started over. I did this for the most recent failed install. I then cleaned up AD. I then cleaned up DNS.
    I then downloaded and ran the Microsoft IT Environment Health Scanner on both of my DCs, which, apparently is an EBS tool and is the AD best practices tool. I could not find another tool that called itself AD best practices analyzer. This tool helped me find some errors, which I fixed. I had not properly configured w32tm. I had not made my TempDC a GC, which I discovered due to another error. I had to seize the schema and domain naming master, since the failed install previous to the last had gotten far enough to grab these. This was probably the cause of the final failed install. After cleanup and optimization I tried again.
    I did not turn off my 2003Std server. I just created another unattend file (with a new server name since I was fearful of a lingering object in AD with the previous name) and went. I monitored the event log on my TempDC and saw the changes occur. And, voila, it finished successfully.
    What I learned – if you have a migration that fails, note whether or not it became a domain controller. If it did, you must demote prior to trying again. You must also manually cleanup DNS. Also verify your 5 FSMO roles are back on the original DC. And, put DHCP back if it was originally on the original DC. Finally, monitor the event log on your 2003 DC as the new SBS server is installing. You’ll see errors and warnings here that will help if you have an issue. It will also indicate how far the installation is, or got if it failed.

Re: Failed migration from 2003 Standard to SBS2008

Thanks for posting back with your solution - it may help others avoid similar situations. The EBS prep tool along with the SBS BPA are good for testing your server before you start. I would also recommend you download the latest migration docs then TEST. How?
      Use your new server to clone your existing SBS to a Virtual Server/Hyper-V, then create another Virtual Server for your SBS 2008 and migrate. (Use VMWare also, if you are comfortable with that) That way you can "blow up" you server as many times as you like - until you get it right. The only downside is you may need 12Gb RAM to implement - but then again your real SBS 2008 will like you better for all that RAM

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.