Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Outlook 2003 with a non domain machine

Hi,

I have been asked to create a mailbox for a user who will never log on to the domain other than to check their mail on their personal laptop that has not been joined to the domain.

Could they provide their domain credentials and use Outlook over https like the other users who have a laptop which is part of the domain? Don't think we will ever have physical access to the laptop and the client are using a self-generated SSL.

Sorry for waffling - just wanted to cover everything!

Thanks for looking.

Re: Using Outlook 2003 with a non domain machine

No reason why not if you have RPC/HTTPS set up properly
    A commercial certificate is probably a must!

Not SBS but I've used Outlook on non-domain PCs with Exchange 2003 and 2007 in just this way
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.
      Considering it is a new mailbox they may want to use outlook with means it stands a better chance of the initial sync i guess.

I am discovering more and more people on self-cert's
      I just dont understand why people set-up mail servers with self-generated certs. Considering the price of them nowadays, what's the big deal?

Comment

Theres nothing wrong with setting up servers with self signed certs. There are some more caveats involved in terms of connectivity for hosts as the certs are not trusted for obvious reasons but MS provide this facility and it does work. It all boils down to budget. But as you rightly say SSL certs these days are very cheap so is it worth the agro? I guess thats debateable.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
          I am discovering more and more people on self-cert's
          I just dont understand why people set-up mail servers with self-generated certs. Considering the price of them nowadays, what's the big deal?
          Personally I don't understand so many people buying certs. All or our customers have internal PKIs that we setup and it's cheaper for them to do that than buy a certificate for every user. Security dictates at some of them that such things HAVE to be kept in house as well.

Anyway, back on topic, you might need to provide them with a temporary VPN to get the mailbox synched from a MAPI connection before setting up Outlook Anywhere. If it's a new and small mailbox it should be OK, large mailboxes will take ages to do the first synch.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X