Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 : restore exchange

Hi all,

I'm testing sbs 2008 and my knowledge is pretty low, so I screw up a bit . I decided to reinstall SBS know that the only important thing was really exchange. I have been doing backups with the Windows Wizard.

After reinstalling everything, I tried to restore the application Exchange from my backup, thinking it would do the trick. Well it didn't! I see the edb databases and the logs but impossible to restore them in Exchange. My first question : we can only restore Exchange on the same "server installation" ... meaning that if one reinstalls the server, he won't be able to restore exchange ?

I managed to mount a recovery storage group and then hoping I could merge a selected mail box into one new one that I created. No success. Do you think this is possible ?

So what do you do about Exchange backups ? If you server crashes, ok that is easy, you restore the hole sever, but let's say you have to reinstall sbs 2008 but you don't want to lose exchange (yes, I know that I can go on every users pc and export pst.. it's not conveniant).

Thanks for your feedback!

Steph

Re: SBS 2008 : restore exchange

Have you also restored Active Directory, or has this been created from scratch? I'm sure you're already aware that Exchange relies heavily on AD...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi gforceindustries,

Thanks for your response!

Well yes, I do know that they are linked, but I was hoping to have, at worse, the following situation : i have a backup, from it I can recuperate Exchange database... from it exchange toolbox can IMPORT the database in restore mode... i managed to even SEE the user mailbox... the LAST step would have to be : put mailbox 1 in user A, mailbox 2 in user B, etc.. etc... am I really missing something ? In my sense, I'm only talking about recuperating mails.. not the 3 millions settings in exchange or outlook, all the rules, the distribution lists, etc... I am really surprise that I cannot do this with a tool or exchange's command line... for example by saying : merge the mailbox with gid XXXX to the newly created user A.

What do you think ?

Steph

Comment

Are these the steps that you tried?

http://www.petri.com/using_rsg_in_exchange_2007.htm

Comment

Hi Stan,

Sorry, I was away a few days. Mmm I have to admit, I don't recognize some screen so I maybe didn't follow that path.

I have screwed up (again ) my SBS box, so I will reinstall it again and try this again. I will post back. Thanks for your feedback and the link.

Steph

Comment

Did you tried EXMERGE?

Comment

Yes i did, but my knowledge is limited ... but i tried to follow all the steps written on several sites without success.

Stan's solution seems to be a very nice solution, and the one I expected from a software like Exchange 2007. I will try again tomorrow.

Do you have any steps for Exmerge that I have maybe not read, but you tried and worked?

Steph

Comment

Keep in mind that due to various limitations (2GB cap on the PSTs, loss of Single Instance Storage), ExMerge should be used as a last resort in most situations..
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Do an Exmerge, then try to do the restore of AD. Exmerge is a last resort but it's a good failsafe when bad things happen to good people.

Tim Macking MCSE

Comment

Working...
                  X