SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration, with a domain name change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration, with a domain name change

I am going to be migrating an SBS 2003 network for a customer to a new SBS 2008 server/network. I've followed Microsoft's migration document for this a few times (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=102937) and it has always gone very well. The migration is nice because you don't have to deal with profile changes on users' workstations.

The kicker is that the customer wants the domain renamed also. The company changed ownership a couple years ago and they are sick of seeing the old domain name every time they login to their workstations.

My question is, can I still do a migration? Like migrate to SBS 2008, and then rename the domain? Or should I rename the domain first, and then migrate to SBS 2008?

Or, do I have to install the SBS 2008 as a fresh clean install with the new domain name? Then I'll have to disjoin and rejoin all the workstations, exmerge out and in the Exchange e-mail, reassign user profiles, etc.

Thank you for your thoughts and responses.

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration, with a domain name change

A clean install is the better option. How many workstations do they have? Providing there arent too many that certainly would be a far cleaner and easier baseline to trouble shoot. Importing data is not a lengthy task. The workstations is where you will have most of you're hassle. As you will have to export their profiles and unique user settings. But again that can be an elementary task either manually or using the USMT under the assumption the clients are using XP.

Comment

There are 22 workstations, which is not too bad, but in 3 locations about an hour drive apart. Maybe I'll make sure VNC is on all of them first and I may not have to drive.

To reassign the profiles, I've usually manually went into the registry and changed the ProfilePath. Do you think the USMT is easier than that?

While it may be cleaner to do the fresh install, is it even technically possible to do a rename on SBS 2003 or SBS 2008?

Comment

Originally posted by askim8 View Post
        There are 22 workstations, which is not too bad, but in 3 locations about an hour drive apart. Maybe I'll make sure VNC is on all of them first and I may not have to drive.

To reassign the profiles, I've usually manually went into the registry and changed the ProfilePath. Do you think the USMT is easier than that?

While it may be cleaner to do the fresh install, is it even technically possible to do a rename on SBS 2003 or SBS 2008?
        In regards to the profiles its a matter of choice. I usually copy the entire profile and copy it over the new one. Or i use the USMT. The USMT can be flaky sometimes and is usually a lengthier process so its purely a matter of preference i guess as to whatevers quicker.

Technically it may be feasable but that would be a very messy solution. SBS is easy to break and although you can rename a DC theres a number of caveats that must be peformed that potentially can be more time consuming than whats it worth in order to succesfully swing the data from one DC to the next. You run the risk of inconsistencies in DNS AD breaking Exchange etc etc. It would be easier in my opinion to have a clean baseline to begin with.

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm

Comment

Working...
        X