Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Error Variety Bucket

Hi everyone,

We have a problem with our SBS2003 based DNS/DC server. About a week ago a computer had been joined to our domain by mistake and had the same name as our server (HP). After removing this PC from the domain the server has refused to work properly. After rebooting the server our DNS zones have disappeared completely and when we try to create new “active directory integrated zones” we get an error about non existing AD partition. We are able to create a non-integrated zone, but when we try to integrate it later, it gives us this “The data on the primary zone failed to set. The AD service is not available”. After hitting OK there comes another treat “The replication scope could not be set. The error was: The specified directory partition does not exist.” which is strange considering we can manage our AD normally. Also the server seems to be refusing to do a forward name translation, which means when we try to open the server shares from a client XP PC via explorer, we get a “\\HP is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource”, but “magically” we can access the shares using an IP address so this has barely anything to do with permissions. What’s even better is that clients can access other clients shares normally via network places while the server itself can only be accessed via IP. The single Vista PC we have in domain doesn’t seem to be affected by any this and carries on working the same way as before the accident. Of course we are getting loads of “ID: 1053, 1126, 4000, 4013, 4013” errors on the server and “Microsoft certified technicians” are wussing out one after another saying this is a “more serious error”, only able to offer a complete reinstallation of the system which we can do ourselves anyway. We would of course like to keep all our AD, Banking Software etc. therefore we are looking for a fix. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: SBS 2003 Error Variety Bucket

Restore from your backup? What have you tried, if anything?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you Gareth, but both previous admins and us afterwards have failed horribly at creating one . We have tried as I mentioned to recreate DNS from scratch and never got to create AD integrated zones anymore. We have also tried countless little fixes for all errors mentioned but nothing ever helped.
      Last edited by visarionovic; 27th July 2009, 10:57.

Comment

Time to flatten the system then. Use Exmerge to dump the mail data to PSTs, and have users take their own backups from within Outlook to cover yourself - and test ALL of the PSTs before flattening. Also save the Exchange folder structure so that you can recover from that, if necessary.

At least with SBS, you are restricted to having a small system, which means much less of an impact when this happens. And while SBS is reinstalling, sounds like it's time to be writing up a backup strategy
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi Gareth - "flattening the system" is an unknown phrase to me. I'm not a native speaker (or listener for that matter ) but it doesn't sound too good... considering the rest of your message I guess it's a reinstallation. That's just plain scary. We certainly do that but only as the last option. For now we have mapped network drives for users using a path with IP adress. I just have to wait if this happened somewhere else in the world to someone who fixed it. Thank you for answers anyway.

Comment

The reason I recommend reinstalling is that a reinstall will take a weekend, wheras waiting to see if anybody can fix it would likely take a lot longer, and in the process you may well do more damage. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on a crippled system.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

FWIW I agree with Gareth. Save what you can and reinstall everything! Anything else IMHO will be just storing up a problem that will come back to bite you in the b*m at a later date.
              Theoretically interesting is how AD let you name a workstation the same name as the server in the first place - I have never seen an AD which lets you do that - although this is not the first time I have heard of it either
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

We already do rely on a cripple. It's an SBS .
                The thing is, my boss (gone for a week) wants me to look for a solution no matter what, so I do. It is my only option to rely on this brain dead system now.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  Theoretically interesting is how AD let you name a workstation the same name as the server in the first place - I have never seen an AD which lets you do that
                  Likewise. That suggests to me that something else may have already been... not broken, but certainly with a few loose wires.

Was the machine fully up to date with regards to Microsoft updates? Was it SBS 03 or 03 R2?

Why do you say SBS is crippled? Granted, wherever possible I'd look to do things using the "full" products, but SBS has its place. Provided you treat it in the manner Microsoft ask you to treat it, an SBS setup can last for a long time without issues.
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 27th July 2009, 12:09.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

You picked the wrong person to call SBS a "cripple" to!

Seriously, though, if your boss is a business man, explain to him the cost of looking for a solution for a week, with no guaranteed results, possible danger to one of the company's prime assets (its data) and future unknown costs/dangers. As opposed to that, he has the known cost of a couple of days down time and safe in the knowledge that his system going forward is a good platform to work from (assuming that you know to (re-)install the system optimally, of course )
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                      assuming that you know to (re-)install the system optimally, of course
                      One of the nice things about SBS being the multitude of wizards that step you through most of the required processes
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

@teiger - that's how I see the Microsoft's business policy, buddy - they make a "pro" or "ultimate" (which are the norm IMHO) and just cripple the lower systems, thus "allowing" them to be cheaper but crippled nevertheless. My boss is an IT guy, so it's really up to him when we reinstall. For now I'm just looking for a possible fix of this mess other than reinstall or restore. You guys are great for answering so quickly anyway. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X