Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDR's are sent to Badmail

All,

I have an SBS 2003 server in my own office.
    When I send an e-mail, from some webmail on the internet, to a non existing address in my domain, my mailserver sends an NDR back.

A client fo mine has an SBS 2003 server in his own office.
    When I send an e-mail, from some webmail on the internet, to a non existing address in his domain, his mailserver sends an NDR back.

All fine.

Another client of mine also has an SBS 2003 server in his office.
    When I send an e-mail, from some webmail on the internet, to a non existing address in his domain, his mailserver sends an NDR (as I can see in Message Tracking Center) but that is sent to Badmail, it never reaches the sender.

When I change the Small Business SMTP connector to "Use DNS to route each address space on this connector", it does work and I do get the NDR back.
    But we want to use the smarthost, in this case smtp.xs4all.nl.

All 3 servers are all behind a DSL line of the same ISP (XS4ALL).

Why does this 1 server drop NDR's in Badmail when using the smarthost ?
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: NDR's are sent to Badmail

The NDR can't be delivered for some reason and therefore goes to the Badmail folder. This is usually caused by a DNS problem but since the server is configured to use a smarthost it's probably be related to the smart host. You can try to troubleshoot it but here's what I recommend instead:

1. Use DNS to deliver email. Why rely on the proper configuration and operation of the smarthost? By using a smarthost you're making your email dependent on them.

2. Install Exchange SP1 or SP2 to the SBS server in question. Starting with SP1, Microsoft has disabled the Badmail folder for exactly the reson you have: emails queue in the Badmail folder and eventually use up all the hard drive space if someone doesn't empty the Badmail folder.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      1. Use DNS to deliver email. Why rely on the proper configuration and operation of the smarthost? By using a smarthost you're making your email dependent on them.
      My experience is that when using DNS, many receiving servers, like Hotmail, put all mail from that server in the SPAM folder, when using smarthost, no such problem.

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      2. Install Exchange SP1 or SP2 to the SBS server in question. Starting with SP1, Microsoft has disabled the Badmail folder for exactly the reson you have: emails queue in the Badmail folder and eventually use up all the hard drive space if someone doesn't empty the Badmail folder.
      All 3 mentioned servers have Exchange 2003 SP2.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

Nobody ?
        Any help is welcome.
        Regards,
        SnijdeA.

Comment

I'm a little confused. My understanding is that with SP1 Microsoft disabled the Badmail folder so I don't know why the NDR's are ending up there. Have you looked at the NDR's? What do the headers look like, what info is in them?

Comment

I can't look at the NDR's, they disappear ...
            Regards,
            SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
            X