Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick dumb question - SQL 2005

Hi All,

Struggling to find my answer via Google so thought I'd ask the question.

We have SBS 2003 R2 Premium with everything installed except ISA.

Our SQL 2005 install is home to our SAP database which is fine but we want if off the main SBS box as part of our ongoing IT strategy.

My question is does the SQL 2005 component of SBS 2003 have to be run on the same box? Could it be moved off to a member server and be SBS licence compliant?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm sure someone mentioned this option to me one day or I read about it somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

K

Re: Quick dumb question - SQL 2005

The components all have to be run on the SBS box, as a requirement of the EULA.

If you want to split the components accross multiple servers, you either need to licence additional 'standard' (as opposed to SBS) copies of the components, or try to get hold of the SBS Transition Pack. Keep in mind that this doesn't give you the Windows licences for the extra server(s) - you will need to get those separately too.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up!

K

Comment

No problem.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Er, yes their is a problem, actually. Well, sort of
          There is an amendment to the EULA in the R2 edition, in that as you correctly state, if you move the SQL off the SBS box you need a new license, but, in contrast to previous versions, you no longer need to buy CALS for the clients connecting to that 2nd (SQL) box. That can run into a LOT of money saved as SQL CALS are expensive.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X