Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with SBS 2003 DR (BSOD after restore)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with SBS 2003 DR (BSOD after restore)

Afternoon everyone,

A month or so back, our company migrated from an SBS 2003 Standard system to a new system based around Server 2008. At the time, the SBS box was flattened and used for something else. Due to the numerous problems with the old system, we rebuilt AD from scratch (only 25 or so users). Users were told to backup their mailbox to PST, and we also extracted their mail using ExMerge so that it could be restored to the new system.

Naturally before starting we took several backups with NTBackup - one to tape and one to USB hard drive. We also copied the server partitions to the HDD with robocopy.

Now, we need to restore from this backup as we are unable to recover two users' mailboxes as the PSTs generated by ExMerge are corrupt, as is the backup one of the users created (the other user didn't take a backup). I have followed Microsoft's guidelines to the letter (http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine...e_sbs2003.mspx) but after restoring the system state, the server bluescreens during bootup (BSOD details also to be posted shortly). We're restoring to the same server and there have been no hardware changes.

Basically, all we need to do is extract the mail data from Exchange for these two users. Can anybody either suggest something to help us restore the system state (required before we can restore Exchange), or suggest an alternative method of recovering the mail data?

The same problem occurs regardless of whether we restore just the system state or the contents of the HDD partitions as well, and regardless of whether we use the tape backup or the BKF on the hard drive. In each instance, the 3 partitions are being formatted first and we're installing the same version of the OS. I've also tried installing the same service packs before restoring (and tried installing with slipstreamed media), with no luck.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 10th July 2009, 15:24.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Problem with SBS 2003 DR (BSOD after restore)

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
    Afternoon everyone,

A month or so back, our company migrated from an SBS 2003 Standard system to a new system based around Server 2008. At the time, the SBS box was flattened and used for something else. Due to the numerous problems with the old system, we rebuilt AD from scratch (only 25 or so users). Users were told to backup their mailbox to PST, and we also extracted their mail using ExMerge so that it could be restored to the new system.

Naturally before starting we took several backups with NTBackup - one to tape and one to USB hard drive. We also copied the server partitions to the HDD with robocopy.

Now, we need to restore from this backup as we are unable to recover two users' mailboxes as the PSTs generated by ExMerge are corrupt, as is the backup one of the users created (the other user didn't take a backup). I have followed Microsoft's guidelines to the letter (http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine...e_sbs2003.mspx) but after restoring the system state, the server bluescreens during bootup (BSOD details also to be posted shortly). We're restoring to the same server and there have been no hardware changes.

Basically, all we need to do is extract the mail data from Exchange for these two users. Can anybody either suggest something to help us restore the system state (required before we can restore Exchange), or suggest an alternative method of recovering the mail data?

The same problem occurs regardless of whether we restore just the system state or the contents of the HDD partitions as well, and regardless of whether we use the tape backup or the BKF on the hard drive. In each instance, the 3 partitions are being formatted first and we're installing the same version of the OS. I've also tried installing the same service packs before restoring (and tried installing with slipstreamed media), with no luck.
    Id explore the route of retrieving the email data from the exchange store. For that though you'll need a 3rd party recovery tool which could be quite dear but will allow you to extract the emails from the database. Longshot here: do the users still have the .ost's on their desktops presuming they were using cached exchaneg mode?

Comment

Unfortunately we don't have OST files anymore - the workstations were all reinstalled from scratch as part of the upgrade. The system was a mess before, with no records of what was installed where (there was no system in place to control or track licence usage, for instance). Plus when we rebuilt the system at the sister company, their IT guy chose not to reinstall their workstations - as a result he spent 3 weeks trying to pee out the fires.

Are there any particular tools you'd recommend to extract data from the mail store? If we have to pay for a tool we'd probably want something that works on Exchange 2003 for this recovery, but also Exchange 2007 for future use.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

In the past i have used "Nucleus Kernel Recovery Software" to extract data from corrupt stores in dirty shutdown states to .pst files.

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/E...-Recovery.html

Have a look at the link above. It works with Exch 2007 aswell.

Comment

Cheers

I think part of the problem (if not the whole problem) is that the users in question had mailboxes over 2GB. Odd though that my mailbox was fine, at well over 3 gig.

Will look into Nucleus, thans for the heads up.
          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Cheers

I think part of the problem (if not the whole problem) is that the users in question had mailboxes over 2GB. Odd though that my mailbox was fine, at well over 3 gig.

Will look into Nucleus, thans for the heads up.
            Exmerge doesnt like mailboxes over 2GB.

Comment

Indeed - it worked for a couple of our users though. And since you can create PSTs larger than 2GB with Outlook, we agreed that as long as we told the users to take their own backup too, we'd be covered.

Started emailing the users (with detailed step by step instructions) three weeks before the switchover, then every day during the final week, and NET SEND popups every hour on the last day. Not really many more clues I can give people damn users.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
              X