X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 AD & IIS.

Hi,

I have some problems with my network.
    I have a Windows 2003 SBS which is the AD. It was installed with the domain name abc.local and exchange server 2003 is also installed. Now my company wants it to be the webserver also. so iis was installed and their web site xyz.com is hosted on it. when I create mail ids for users it is created as [email protected] (default ad domain) but i want it in [email protected] . is there any way to do this without disturbing the existing setup.?
    Also i have 2 lan cards on this machine. 1 is configured with internal ip and the second with public ip. when i configure 2nd nic it is giving warning for a different gateway.
    please help me in resolving this issues.

Thanks,
    JS

Re: Windows 2003 AD & IIS.

Well, the warning about having differente gateway is normal. About the email, is the server a mail server, or you use a pop3 connector to get the mails to the exchange server ?

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the reply. the sever is installed with AD & exchange. this will be our mail server & web server. no pop3 connectors.
      Now I configured public ip on the 2nd nic but i cannot ping it from anywhere. I have made the necessary rules in the firewall, tried connecting directly to the firewall still i can't get it from even the firewall. I disabled this nic and configured 2nd public ip on the 1st nic. still the same result. Please help me.

Thanks
      JS.

Comment

Are you running ISA on this Server?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jackiesmith View Post
          Hi,

I have some problems with my network.
          I have a Windows 2003 SBS which is the AD. It was installed with the domain name abc.local and exchange server 2003 is also installed. Now my company wants it to be the webserver also. so iis was installed and their web site xyz.com is hosted on it. when I create mail ids for users it is created as [email protected] (default ad domain) but i want it in [email protected] . is there any way to do this without disturbing the existing setup.?
          Also i have 2 lan cards on this machine. 1 is configured with internal ip and the second with public ip. when i configure 2nd nic it is giving warning for a different gateway.
          please help me in resolving this issues.

Thanks,
          JS
          Dual gateways are only for redundant paths. It is best to only have ONE gateway configured as the path of last resort. Windows will not be able to defrentiate where a packet needs to go if 2 gateways are configured. It will always use the one with the lower cost and will report that error as long as 2 gateways are present in your Nic configuration.

Additionally SBS already has IIS installed by default. Not entirely sure what that has to do with your Exchange configuration so please clarify as to exactly what you mean. Furthermore you must modify your receipient policy accordingly for which ever email domain you choose to use for your clients. Clients will be assigned their email address's from there when viewed in AD.

NOTE: DO NOT configure ANY public IP address's on your SBS server. Thats a horrible security flaw and essentially exposes your only box to the naked internet. If i were you id remove the second nic and have the server behind a firewall and open the relavent ports on your firewall ( NAT/PAT ). Id also lock that website down with SSL seeing as SBS is probably your only production server.

Comment

Thanks Scurlaruntings for the information.

I have disabled the 2nd NIC. I have configured the 1st Nic with a 2nd private ip address (192.x.x.x). My server is behind a firewall. My firewall is NAT enabled. I have a single server & a single public ip address which is assigned to my firewall WAN port.

Default AD dmain = abc.local
            website domain = xyz.com

Part 1.
            I assigned the website the 2nd ip address of my nic and created rules on the firewall to map this address to the public address ( my firewall wanport add.)
            Now I am able to access the site from anywhere using url www.xyz.com, but i can't access it inside my office using www.xyz.com but I can access it internally using ip address(internal ip of my NIC). What could be the problem. Also is there any problem if I made the firewall rule in the above mentioned manner.
            Please suggest.

Part 2 (Exchange)
            When I create users/mailbox in AD/exchange they are created in the form [email protected] (my default ad domain). The user's existing mails are hosted outside in the form [email protected] ( me website domain). I don't want to change the mail ids after configuring the internal exchange server/nor disturb the existing setup.

Please help me resolve these issues.

Thanks
            JS

Comment

Well for the internal website, i think that seting up DNS correctly that problem will be resolved, does your local machines use the windows server as dns server ?. For the exchange probably you will have to add the www.xyz.com to the trusted domains and and that email to each user. Not saying this is the solution, just trying to give an idea.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin. The local users use the same server as the dns server. So you are saying that I should create a new primary zone for the domain.

Thanks
                JS

Comment

Create a new zone in dns called xyz.com then add the a records and cnames.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jackiesmith View Post
                    Thanks Scurlaruntings for the information.

I have disabled the 2nd NIC. I have configured the 1st Nic with a 2nd private ip address (192.x.x.x). My server is behind a firewall. My firewall is NAT enabled. I have a single server & a single public ip address which is assigned to my firewall WAN port.

Default AD dmain = abc.local
                    website domain = xyz.com

Part 1.
                    I assigned the website the 2nd ip address of my nic and created rules on the firewall to map this address to the public address ( my firewall wanport add.)
                    Now I am able to access the site from anywhere using url www.xyz.com, but i can't access it inside my office using www.xyz.com but I can access it internally using ip address(internal ip of my NIC). What could be the problem. Also is there any problem if I made the firewall rule in the above mentioned manner.
                    Please suggest.

Part 2 (Exchange)
                    When I create users/mailbox in AD/exchange they are created in the form [email protected] (my default ad domain). The user's existing mails are hosted outside in the form [email protected] ( me website domain). I don't want to change the mail ids after configuring the internal exchange server/nor disturb the existing setup.

Please help me resolve these issues.

Thanks
                    JS
                    Out of interest is your "internal" domain name the same as your "external" domain name? In other words do they share the same namespace?

And i have already told you in my previous answer to amend your recipient policy in ESM. Either amend RUS or amend there email details manually in AD.

Comment

Thanks scurlaruntings, the internal and external domain name are different. The internal is abc.local and external is xyz.com.
                      I have created reciepient policy. Hope this works well.

Thanks
                      JS

Comment

Working...
                      X