No announcement yet.

Remote office + SBS2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote office + SBS2008

Hi all,

We have 2 small offices (each have about 5 workstations). One office is our main office. The second one our branch office. In our main office we already have a complete network. SBS2008 standard with enough licenses, exchange is working, dns etc.. etc.. All client computers are joined and some notebooks use the SBS standard VPN connection when they are on the road.
    Now we opened a new office on another location. (our branch office). We installed 5 new PC's. Joined them in our domain. (we installed the PC's in our main office).

Now we need to move those PC's to another location. That other location has one switch and one router wich is also internet gateway.

What is the best way to connect both offices to each other? Connect each client over vpn like the notebooks? connect the router to the vpn of SBS.

I also looked into gateway to gateway but that seems to be not working except if you add an additional server 2008 to the remote office.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

Re: Remote office + SBS2008

That's a tricky one. Connecting each machine with a VPN to the server would definitely work, but it seems like that would impede performance to some extent. I would almost think the router to router VPN would be a better option. Kind of like creating your own virtual circuit.

I haven't ever done this or researched it, but this TechNet article might give you some ideas:

Sorry I can't be of more help.