Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What router do you use on your SBS 2008 networks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What router do you use on your SBS 2008 networks?

Hello,

I've spent two days and many hours on the phone with Microsoft's Pro Support people over this problem that I posted a while back. After hearing the dreaded words "We've never seen this problem before", suspicion has been cast on the network's LinkSys RV082 router. It's DNS Proxy feature may be interfering with the DNS traffic. However, I'm digressing from my intended topic.

I'm looking into getting a new router/firewall for the network. I've never liked the RV082 in the first place. I'm really liking what I've seen of the the SonicWall TZ 180 W. However, I'd like to get a sampling of what you all use for a firewall on your SBS 2008 networks. BTW, does anyone use a RV082 or 042 on an SBS network?

Thanks for your input!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: What router do you use on your SBS 2008 networks?

I'll trade you!
    I have a sonicwall 170 I cannot stand.
    And have a RV082 on an SBS 2003 network, works fine.
    You did do firmware updates and all....
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
      I'll trade you!
      I have a sonicwall 170 I cannot stand.
      And have a RV082 on an SBS 2003 network, works fine.
      You did do firmware updates and all....
      The 170 I think is a little older. I think the 180 series is the latest and "greatest". What about the 170 are you displeased with? I was wondering if the SBS 08 machine has slightly different DNS packets or packet sizes or just generally does something different with DNS from other servers or clients that could be causing some consternation on the part of the router. I have firmware 1.3.6-q50 on the LinkSys and 1.3.8 is the latest. None of the firmware fixes seem to have anything to do with this issue, but I'll probably try to upgrade it just before I purchase a new firewall. In other news, the Actiontec M1000 DSL modem that services our extranet (5 external IPs) could also be suspect. I'm going to replace that with a Motorola 3347 tomorrow.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

One to one NAT with Mutiple IP's off a T1, it just never worked. I gave up. There is no doubt its a solid firewall, they just make it difficult to use....for me anyway...
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

We're using a SonicWall TZ180 (no integrated wireless) with no problems. The interface definitely takes a little getting used to, but it's not so bad.

As a side note, we're using it for all our DHCP even though we have a SBS2008 server. The SonicWall distributed DNS with the SBS server as primary, one of our ISP's DNS servers as secondary, and our ISP seconary as tertiary. SBS has the two ISP servers as forwarders. DNS works flawlessly in this setup, but as always, YMMV.

Comment

Are you using SonicOS Standard or Enhanced? If Enhanced, what features necessitated that? Are you using any of the gateway security features like RBL, Anti-Virus and content filtering? If so, how is that working with the SBS machine? I'm especially interested in the anti-spam features of the SonicWall as compared to a software product installed on the SBS 08 machine.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

We're running with Standard. We've got a pretty simple setup and didn't need any of the Enhanced features.

We've got the basic protection package: Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Intrusion Detection. These work flawlessly and transparently. It's only been installed for about a month, but it has already caught three viruses, one intrusion attempt, and one spyware attempt. I've never used the anti-spam option, so I can't speak to it directly, but if the other services are any indication, it would do a good job with spam.

Comment

Great, thanks. I wasn't able to get the UTM features yet but maybe I can afford them in next year's budget. I'm skeptical of gateway products that scan for viruses and etc., but I'll give this some thought based on your recommendation. I just bought the TZ 180 and it arrived yesterday. I'm in the process of setting it up and will let you all know how it works out.
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I gave up on Linksys products around 1998. Since then, I've used Zyxel's Zywall products, Linksys' quality might be better now that Cisco purchased them but most of their products lack the feature set I require because their focus is on home products and Cisco's branded equipment is overpriced.

All in all, Zyxel's equipment is a good bang for the buck. VPN (IPSec, SSL, L2TP), Multi NAT, Content Filtering, Spyware, Phishing, Viruses, and Spam filtering in the router. I have installed a few Sonicwall TZ180s at some of our client sites and it's my experience that they charge for every little feature while the Zyxel products offer a farily large feature set by default making it a much better bargain.

We use a Zywall USG 300 in our office. It works quite well but it shouldn't be compared to the TZ 180. Apples and Oranges

http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_fam...9-E93579CE2C44
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833181080
                  Last edited by ahinson; 10th July 2009, 05:49.
                  Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you want a reasonable router compare (sort of guide) site, have a look at www.ozcableguy.com Most of the products are domestic but he does have the odd Zyxel device in the list.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X