Disaster recovery in SBS 2003 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster recovery in SBS 2003 R2

Hi Guys, I have stuck with a strange problem and cant find any solution for that.. I hope experts like you can help me... My problem is that in my work place we are using SBS 2003 which is our ADC with exchange server and SQL server. The problem is that company want to have a disaster recovery setup in which they want to setup network in such a way that if ADC goes down the user still log on and carry on doing work...

I know there is no concept of PDC and BDC in 2003 so I cant understand what shall I do to have that kind of setup in which PDC goes down user can still log on and carry on working.

Re: Disaster recovery in SBS 2003 R2

You can add an additional domain controller to SBS 2003 as long as it doesnt hold the FSMOs

With DFS replication of critical shares, you could work without email if the SBS box went down

Others will tell you to have a robust backup strategy and rely on restoring the SBS in minimal time if it fails
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You can add an additional domain controller to SBS 2003 as long as it doesnt hold the FSMOs

With DFS replication of critical shares, you could work without email if the SBS box went down

Others will tell you to have a robust backup strategy and rely on restoring the SBS in minimal time if it fails
      Thanks for the quick reply. Just want to clear some question I have in my mind... First do I need to have standard server 2003 software or SBS 2003 CD's I have is fine. Secondly do I need to configure additional domain controller as DHCP and DNS server. Third question do i need to have the same server name as my ADC and how to configure the clients to connect to additional domain controller when SBS servr goes down. And finally how DFS replication works. I never use DFS replication before.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Comment

I'm getting confused (so whats new....)
        At the moment you have a single SBS with Exchange, DHCP, DNS and Active Directory?
        Is this the "ADC" you mention?
        Do you have any other servers?

Basically, SBS holds all the important roles and must be the boss server. If you change any of this, you have a week to fix the problem before your network starts shutting down regularly.

An additional server must be a separate license for Server 2003 (or 200 and you will need the install media as the SBS CD is only for SBS

For DFS, use a wonderful web site called to get more information
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes at the moment I have a single SBS with Exchange, DHCP, DNS and Active Directory and I dont have any other server and this server is my ADC. So what do u suggest I shall do now to make my network more reliable. I do have a seprate licence for standard server 2003 will that be of any help.

Comment

OK, please stop using "ADC" as it normally stands for "Additional Domain Controller" (hence my confusion)

One way of increasing redundancy (but not for email) is to:
            Install Server 2003 on another box (different name, different IP to the SBS)
            Promote it to a domain controller (additional domain controller) in the SBS domain
            Install DNS (AD integrated), WINS (if you use it) and DHCP (split scope)
            This will handle logons and browsing if the main SBS fails

To ensure availability of files and folders:
            Set up DFS on both the SBS and the new server, create a domain root and add all your shared folders
            Modify logon scripts to point to the DFS root rather than the SBS

You still have Exchange as a single point of failure.

Alternatively, invest in a robust backup / bare metal recovery solution for your SBS and rely on that -- it may be quicker to recover that way.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks for the information. Just a quick one in ref to your reply how to configure DNS (AD integrated) what setting do I need to change. And how to Modify logon scripts to point to the DFS root rather than the SBS.

Is it possibel to talk to you if you have time as you are based in scotland and I am based in London.

Thanks

Vik

Comment

Working...
              X