Replacing Windows 2000 SBS with Windows 2003 SBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Windows 2000 SBS with Windows 2003 SBS

I have an existing domain that runs windows 2000 SBS which i would like to migrate over to windows 2003 SBS (an existing oem server i had from an old company that doesnít exist anymore..)

Mind you, though both OS's are SBS, i am not using ANY SBS stuff, mainly Exchange - email is a hosted solution. Also we dont use SQL, sharepoint, etc

Normally i could add the new server to the existing domain, make sure AD replicates, configure DNS/WINS/DHCP etc on new server, and eventually drop the old windows 2000 SBS machine.

In the windows 2003 (oem) setup, there is a SBS wizard that is required to run to complete setup. This wizard wants me to setup a new domain name on the new machine .

But once again i would like to join it to an existing domain.

Can i make up a domain name, and use dcpromo to DEMOTE it, then use dcpromo to JOIN it to the existing domain??
    - Once joined i know i have a few days to transfer FSMO roles or it will shut down - but all i really need is a few hours for replication/configuration/testing then i can transfer the FSMO roles manually and remove the windows 2000 machine from the network.

anyways, i plan to do this migration this weekend, any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Replacing Windows 2000 SBS with Windows 2003 SBS

you can't join an SBS machine as a DC to a domain with another SBS DC in it.

You could install the new SBS server, and then use ADMT to migrate all the accounts over to the new domain.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      you can't join an SBS machine as a DC to a domain with another SBS DC in it.

You could install the new SBS server, and then use ADMT to migrate all the accounts over to the new domain.. ?

Could the domain be the same ? so that when the users log in to the new "domain" they dont get a new profile folder i.e c:\documents and settings\username.NEWDOMAIN.name
      Last edited by realized; 23rd June 2009, 18:36.

Comment

Have you looked at Swing Migration?
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have looked at swingmigration but not sure if i can justify a few hundred dollars to help me replace my server.

Right now i am going through the migrating document, but , i guess i thought it was a lot easier then the admt utility..

i thought i could add the new sbs to the old sbs domain , have replication do everything for me, then drop a server after fsmo and gc's are changed.

Comment

$150 if I am not mistaken and it will save you many hours work and research that you are doing right now!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have been trying to get ahold of them all day but nobody ever answers.

not sure if i can trust a company if they dont have the ability to answer their phone.

i understand its possibly a one-two-three man company, but still.

Comment

Emailed them - lets see what happens =)

Comment

Originally posted by realized View Post
                  I have been trying to get ahold of them all day but nobody ever answers.

not sure if i can trust a company if they dont have the ability to answer their phone.

i understand its possibly a one-two-three man company, but still.
                  This company you can trust and who's to say they don't have phone problems. Jeff has been around for a long time, just Google him, and if you looked at the web site you should have noticed he is an SBS MVP. Microsoft do not hand out MVPs to just anyone. You have to be pretty special to get one.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X