Win 2003 Replication to SBS 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 Replication to SBS 2008

Hey Guy's, im wondering witch is better, sbs 2008 PDC and win 2003 as secondary DC, Win 2003 is TS server that uses a software , and has sql database that will be stored in sbs 2008, and make a vpn connection between them so that they can comunicate and passthrow sql database, or else sbs 2008 se same thing sql server and PDC , and make the win 2003 as PDC as well for distinct AD, and just make a vpn beetwin them for sql database, will this be a problem when they connect together by vpn ? Please note that this computers are in a datacenter , so not connected in local network switch in office branch.

Regards
    Kevin

Re: Win 2003 Replication to SBS 2008

Hi,

I don't think you have much choice as there is only one PDC Emulator role in a Domain and the SBS 2008 box must hold all the Fsmo roles.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thx for the answer, so what youre saying is that when i connect the vpn to one server to another when both are PDC there will be a problem?

Comment

Pretty much, In a SBS 2008 domain you can have additional domain controllers but the SBS machine must hold all the FSMO Roles including the PDC emulator, otherwise it restarts every hour or so i think. Besides, the PDC emulator role is unique in a domain as I said, you can't have two DCs in the same domain with the PDC emulator role, even in a non SBS domain.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thx for the answer, now time to put this in practice If everything goes ok at first chance time to drink

Regards
          Kevin

Comment

Moving to SBS forum as its really SBS related.

Comment

Sorry about that, indeed i maked the title worng, it was supose to be sbs2008 replication to win 2003, i have my brains fried And posted in the wrong section. Any way i'm going to test this today since i finished the win2003 installation and all the updates. Ill keep in touch and say how thing go.

Regards
              Kevin

Extra: Well, have joined win 2003 as Second DC in the domain, and everything is working smooth, it's a new experience for me so a littlebit excited in seeing that everuthing is working as it sould me, Thx for the helps guys.

Kevin
              Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 20th June 2009, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
              X