SBS 2003 Standard to Server 2003 Standard - dont laugh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Standard to Server 2003 Standard - dont laugh

All right I have SBS 2000 Standard and I want to go to just 2003 Standard. but..... I want to add Sql so here is my plan"

Is this possible?

Windows Server Small Business Server 2000 Standard
    then
    Windows Server Small Business Server 2003 Standard
    then
    Windows Server Small Business Server 2003 Professional
    And finally to
    Windows Server 2003 Standard

I checked out this software on the Microsoft web site and they indicated this was possible using these sku's

Upgrade to Professional 2003 SBM T75-00140
    Upgrade from 2000 to 2003 T75-00037
    Upgrade Licenses T74-01215 T74-01213
    Transition Pack to Full Version T75-00039
    Transition Pack Licenses T74-01131 T74-01133

Wadaya think

cumon isn't anyone going to comment

Bump!

Just tell me how to get from sbs 2000 to 2003 standard and keep my exchange okay....

I have read the swing stuff. Any other takers?

Comment

Re: cumon isn't anyone going to comment

Originally posted by river
      Bump!

Just tell me how to get from sbs 2000 to 2003 standard and keep my exchange okay....

I have read the swing stuff. Any other takers?
      Here you have the path to upgrade all the versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sbsgsgab.mspx
      MCSE w2k
      MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
      MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Huh? There is no such thing as SBS 2000 Standard - the standard and premium editions were only introduced October 2003 with SBS2003
        The BEST best Best source for migration is
        www.sbsmigration.com.
        For $200 you get:
        a bunch of documents telling you step by step with explanations
        a set of scripts that help with some of the stages.
        support of Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP and guru on-line
        you also get to do the upgrade according to your own timetable and to clean up all the problems with AD with your existing server before you start!
        Still want to try another method?
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You need to read this document...

You need to read this document...
          http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=16414

Good luck!

How knows where can I find a trial version of Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP?

Comment

That Document

I read that document but its for 'migrations'. I am going to do an in place upgrade. So I just need to read the steps found in the upgrade document right.

You don't have to migrate you can just upgrade.

thx for the help!!!!

Comment

1. There is no trial - it is a methodology which you have to follow.
              2. Upgrade can be a migration - and to the same hardware, since you move to a temporary server. you can then reformat your old hardware, add memory, disks, controllers what you will and treat it like a new server that you migrate to.
              In-place upgrade also works if you have at least 4Gb free on your system drive (though I recommend more for expansion) and you know that our current server is 100% problem free. Otherwise you just drag your old problems into your new system. SBSmigration's swing method ensures you have a clean server with your old profiles so that you don't need to touch your desktops.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

ok ok ok

Pal,

I have read the swing migration wib site and I am familiar with what it does. That is my plan B. Based on the readings I have done and the simplicity of the installation I am dealing with I am going for the upgrade. I appreciate your passion for the swing product but please stop try to sell it to me.

What I really need are the insights of someone who has done this before and what undocumented technical pitfalls are in front of me. I am aware of the disk space requirements - yada yada yada.

Comment

River, I find your reply to be quite rude. Just because he won't provide you with the answer that you want there is no need for your reply.

Steven is recognised by Microsoft to be an expert with this product and as such you are getting the best advice available. If what you want was available, you would have received an answer. As such, members have used THEIR spare time to volunteer answer to YOUR problem.

Please remember to be curtious in the future. You will get more flies with honey than with vinagar. Thank you.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hmmm

My comments aren't rude, not in the least. I did not rebuke/slander/question/antagonize him for his knowledge, his skill, his character, or his writing ability. All of which I respect.

All I did was ask that further posts not refer to the swing product. I don't think that is unreasonable. He informed me of it once to do so a second time is to imply I did not understand him the first time.

Comment

Mission Accomplished

FYI-

The inplace upgrade of my server from sbs 2000 to windows 2003k is complete.

It was largely painless. OWA went south on me because of new stuff, and a few apps did not like the new permissions the MS cramed down my throat, but all in all not bad.

Thanks to everyone on this board who contributed to this project. Your technical insight was appreciated (this is sarcasm since the only thing I got on this board was a sales pitch for sing something or other).

Anyone who reads this feel fortunate since this post won't be here long (Admin's probably gonna kill it).

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 Standard to Server 2003 Standard - dont laugh

I'm happy for you that you were able to complete you upgrade with few problems, even though you have probably breeched several of Microsoft's license requirements. You asked for help and were given the best advise the members of this board could offer, but noooooooo, that wasn't good enough for you. It seems that unless you were given the answer that you wanted, our technical advise was useless.

Well, I think that attitude will work wonders for you in this profession and will prove to all and sundray what a complete TWONK you are. I wish your employers (notice I used the plural version) luck with the short time you will be employed with each one.

Have a nice day.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles,

Your acting a little delusional. Look back at the posts and you will find that to my question I had 2 posts selling me a swingy thing and 2 posts that encourage me to read the canned Microsoft help (which I already did). No where on this site did I find new information about what I was trying to accomplish.

Biggles, did you notice that my comments while harsh are directed against the message board, not the people. For example I never called anyone a name or personally attacked them they way you just did me.

I question any board under the guise of being an open forum for discussion where businesses are allowed to advertise. This board is due critisim for promoting a commercial product, regardless if the board benefits or not.

I am a tech who misses the genuine sharing and camaraderie of the early CompuServe years. Sell as much swing stuff as you can and try to look at yourself more objectively.

Back to a technical discussion which would be niceÖ.

I cleared my migration thru Microsoft. They do not recommend it but it was in the relm of acceptable upgrade paths.

Comment

I've think you're doing a great job with the upgrade. Please feel free to share how you did it.. Im curieus for you're documentation... About licencing i really don't know, but if Microsoft says, its ok.. than i will believe that.

But correct me if i'm wrong:

Although i don't like you're writing skills it can help others with the same problems you was standing for. I saw you're writing skills as an offence to the board, so to everyone who is a member of this community. Maybe it wasn't you'r intention to it, but that was my experience, and appearently also the one from Biggles77.

When reading this:
                            Originally posted by river
                            Thanks to everyone on this board who contributed to this project. Your technical insight was appreciated (this is sarcasm since the only thing I got on this board was a sales pitch for sing something or other).

Anyone who reads this feel fortunate since this post won't be here long (Admin's probably gonna kill it).
                            i really thought: what the.... everyone is doing his/her best to help you out. Esspecially those who have experience. We all doing this in our spare time, and than such a reaction??? why???

This board isn't here to make commericals for any product, but those commercial products can help you out, even if they cost you money. Not all products are free as you know.

Personally i've no experience with SBS so i couldn't help you...
                            I hope you don't see this post as an offend, but i hope you will learn something about what i wanted to say, and hopefully you stay en become a valueble member.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I have recently migrated a Win2k SBS server to a Win2k3 SBS server. If you already have SQL on the 2K, you will still have it on the 2K3 after the in-place upgrade. Same goes for Exchange, but I took great pains to BOTH back up and export all the Exchange files before proceeding.

There are a TON of KB articles with tips, tricks, traps and problems. I'll have to respond later with the details because I have to find the stack of papers I used to do the upgrade. I can tell you, you must follow ALL the recommendations in order to make this work.

I now have an SBS 2K3 server with Exchange 2K3 and with SQL 2000 on it.

As far as upgrading from Win2K3 SBS to Win2K3 Regular - I haven't got a clue. But I'll look up the research I did and let you know.
                              TTFN
                              Rex Derby

Comment

Working...
                              X