Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No File Replication (FRS) after promoting Windows 2003 R2 to additional DC

Hi,

i have a problem at our client that i just can't figure out!

What they have is a Windows 2003 SBS SP2 at their site. Few days ago we installed Windows 2003 R2 at their remote site with the intention of adding it as an Active Directory Domain Controller so the logon requests on that site were handled by the R2-server instead of the SBS-server over VPN. Adding it was no problem. Active Directory replicated it's objects and kept replicating both ways. Later though we discovered that there was no Netlogon-share on the new R2-server. Also under Sites and Services and then the selected SBS-server there was no Active Directory Connection that got to be automatically created. And manually creating one does not solve the problem

In the eventviewer on the new R2-server we keep running into errors from the File Replication Service (Eventid 13508, source Ntfrs)

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from \\PPPDSBS01.pppd.local (SBS-server) to AMSPPPD (R2) for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name \\PPPDSBS01.pppd.local. FRS will keep retrying.
    Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.
    [1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name \\PPPDSBS01.pppd.local from this computer.
    [2] FRS is not running on \\PPPDSBS01.pppd.local.
    [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.
    This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at

So now i cannot get this to work. It's also not possible to manage the R2-server from the SBS-server using for example Sites and Services cause i'm getting RPC errors. I am able to telnet at port 135 from the SBS-server to the R2-server.

Has anyone got any ideas ? Cannot find anything usefull on the net and I just can't seem to get this working....

Bram

Re: No File Replication (FRS) after promoting Windows 2003 R2 to additional DC

Hi,

Any other Ntfrs Events logged appart from that one?
    Also, is the FRS service running on both?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yeah the Ntfrs-service is started on both servers and restarted multiple times along with the Netlogon-service

And another event that was logged was this event on the 2003 R2-server with EventID 13566 (Source Ntfrs);

File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer AMSPPPD cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

To check for the SYSVOL share, at the command prompt, type:
      net share

When File Replication Service completes the initialization process, the SYSVOL share will appear.

The initialization of the system volume can take some time. The time is dependent on the amount of data in the system volume, the availability of other domain controllers, and the replication interval between domain controllers.
      For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It is also mentioned on the SBS-server. And besides that one the previously mentioned event ofcourse.

At first i forced a demote of the 2003 R2-server, cleaned up the metadata on the SBS-server and promoted the server again to an additional DC. But unfortunately ran into the same issue.

Comment

Anyone another suggestion ?

Comment

I am having the exact same issues - recently promoted a w2003k server into my domain to replace a w2000server on one of my sites (have 3 sites). The new ser ver all appeared fine in dns, the promotion all appeared fine, the w2000server on the same site immediately added the new server within ADSS but not the other way around. After a few days I decided to demote the server but it failed with a 'RPC not available error' so I had to forceremove and the do a metacleanup. Have since rebuilt the new server again under a new name but once again I am getting the same issues. Will post events shortly.

Comment

Is the (Windows) firewall off on the R2 server NIC?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

HI There just tested again with the firewall off on the newly added server and all replication now appears to be working fine. Surely this is not a requirement? Cannot remember having to do this before.

Comment

Hi Again - Just done a little more investigating and my previous promotions were windows 2003 non R2 versions which by the looks of it does not have the firewall enabled by default, obviously R2 does hence the issues. Cannot remember reading about this anywhere but something I certainly will keep in mind from now on. Pity I had to do a complete rebuild to get to this point.

Cheers

Comment

For the record, I believe it is Windows Server 2003 SP1 that turns on the Firewall by default, not specifically R2 (though R2 is at SP1 level)
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X