MBR/Boot Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBR/Boot Issue

Have 2 partitions, C & D on single drive. C was running out of HD space so I bought "System Commander", third party software, to move free space from D to C which worked great for moving free space around but now the system won't boot properly unless I use the "generic MBR" from the System Commander CD for every reboot. I contacted their support but they were basically useless. Short of reformatting the system does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this issue?

Oh yeah, the error I get when I reboot is simply: "Boot Failure"

Re: MBR/Boot Issue

What operating system is it?

Have you tried fixboot and fixmbr?

Comment

Ooops, OS is 2003 Standard Edition. Good suggestion but yes I did both fixboot and fixmbr to no avail.

Comment

Is the main partiotion set as Active and Bootable ? With the fixboot and fixmbr should work, but if it didn't try this, probably it will solve the problem:

bootcfg /rebuild

Regards
        Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

I believe so, how can I tell if it is set to "Active"? Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it spin.

Comment

Use the same software you used to partitionate the drive, or else use partition magic, or some king of partitioning software and see the flags.

Regards
            Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

After reviewing all of the various options the partition software doesn't show which drive/partition is active.

I ran bootcfg /rebuild from the recovery console and it appeared run successfully but upon reboot the system is still unable to boot properly.

I'm mistaken about what happens upon reboot, the system states it is booting to hard drive and then it displays a hyphen "-" and it just hangs until I put the system commander disk back in and configure it to use a generic MBR.

Strange......

Comment

what program r u using ? so that i can try to take a picture and show you.

Comment

System Commander 9.

Comment

Working...
                  X