Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS & Active Directory Problems

Hi Guys,

My first post here, but I have read a lot of information on this site. Thanks for the great work you have all done.

I have had serious problems recently with my SBS 2003. I'm not a professional, but I'm trying hard to fill in the holes . Now it works... but I don't have a clue what happened, so maybe you can give me a few pointers. Unfortunately, the events are in french so I will translate them as good as I can.

The server was working fine for 6 months... and then, with no reason, I started to have the following errors :

Event ID1054
    Source Userenv
    Type Error
    Description Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (<error description>). Group Policy processing aborted.

Event ID 2102
    Source MSExchangeDSAccess

The following error would come randomly, but the number of events increased in time :

Event ID 9154
    Source MSExchangeSA
    Type Error
    Description DSACCESS returned an error '<error code>' on DS notification. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant will re-set DS notification later.

And then finally, when the server (exchange wouldn't work, but user session authentification yes) started to really go nuts :

Event ID8026
    Source MSExchangeAL
    Type Error
    Description LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory <directory> for distinguished name ''.
    Directory returned error: [<error code>] <error details>.

And finally, what seems to me the be the origin of the problem : DNS errors.

Event ID4015
    Source DNS
    Type Error
    Description The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The event data contains the error.

And errors 4000 & 4004.

I'm sure you are missing information for you to help me, but I would be glad to fill in. What I did after reading several website : I uninstall the DNS server and reinstalled it. I also uninstalled Kaspersky but I would like to put it back as soon as I know what really happened.

Thank you for your response.
    Last edited by Steph; 7th June 2009, 11:50.

Re: DNS &amp; Active Directory Problems

Event ID8026
    Source MSExchangeAL
    Type Error
    Description LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory <directory> for distinguished name ''.
    Directory returned error: [<error code>] <error details>.

And finally, what seems to me the be the origin of the problem : DNS errors.

Event ID4015
    Source DNS
    Type Error
    Description The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The event data contains the error.
    If I recall correctly, these errors probably occur at around the same time as your SBS server reboots ?
    We get these in our log every monday morning at 3:00am... because exchange lives on the same server as the directory, it's not able to bind immediately due to startup error.
    It's usually the same thing with the 4015.
    See if yo ucan correlate these times to reboot times ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Well that's what I don't understand... no updates, no reboot, it just suddently appeared! Crazy idea, but is it possible because the server is under too much work ? Kaspersky was installed and I removed it for the time being, but i'm starting to think this could be a possible issue.

What do you think ?

Comment

do you regularly reboot your server ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

No never did before the crash (so up time was about 6 months)

Comment

Check for 6005 events in the System log and see if you are having "unknown" reboots. Do you have a UPS on the Server? If you do, is it configured for any shutdown tests and how old are the batteries?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No unknown reboots. I do have a UPS, but everything seems normal. The battery are 6 months old.

Could it come from overload?

Comment

Working...
              X