Question about migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Hi, I've to do an SBS2003 migration in about 1 month and was wondering if someone could answer a question please?

The plan is to buy a new SBS2008 server and follow the migration steps from here on Microsoft - hxxp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=52b7ea63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en

Once the migration is finished, and we've removed the existing SBS2003 box from the domain etc, my question is, can I add it back as a member server?

Or is this a no-no?

Thanks
    Shane

Re: Introducing SBS2008 into existing 2003 domain

Hijacking other peoples threads IS a no-no

Reported for splitting
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Question about migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Hi, I've to do an SBS2003 migration in about 1 month and was wondering if someone could answer a question please?

The plan is to buy a new SBS2008 server and follow the migration steps from here on Microsoft - hxxp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=52b7ea63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en

Once the migration is finished, and we've removed the existing SBS2003 box from the domain etc, my question is, can I add it back as a member server?

Or is this a no-no?

Thanks
      Shane

Comment

Apologies, I thought since it was in relation to the original topic that it would be a better idea to keep all related questions on the one thread...

I reposted as a new thread...
        What does 'Reported for splitting' mean?

Shane

Comment

Re: Question about migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008

Hello, i don't think so, because SBS only work as PDC and not a member, and you cannot have 2 PDC in the same network. Hope My infos are correct and if so hope i helpt you in some way.

Regards
          Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Your post and my replies will be moved into another thread.

And to answer your question, yes it is a no-no
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SBS will not work as a Member Server.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cheers folks, thanks for the help, looks like we'll have to think of another way to keep this server running...the main issue is some of the apps that will not run on the new 2008 version(cause its 64-bit), so trying to figure out a way of migrating but keeping the server connected.

So back to the drawing board!

Thanks
                Shane

Comment

But you run the programs in the server ? what sbs2008 did you buy ? std or premium ? if premium you always have the win2008 license that you can use.

Regards
                  Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Kevin

We haven't actually bought the server yet, so I can get whatever version is appropriate. We are in the process of spec'ing it up.

What i am more concerned with was some of the existing software on 2003, for example Sage Construction. I can't find anything on their site that confirms/denies that it would run on SBS2008, which is why I wanted to really keep the existing server on the network for anything that was not going to run on the new one.

Or am I mistaken, will all existing software run on SBS2008? (I heard that you need 64-bit virus scanner versions for instance, so I assumed this was the same with legacy 32-bit apps?)

Shane

Comment

There are two issues here regarding application compatibility: Platform and Architecture.

1. Platform = SBS2008
                      2. Architecture = 64 Bit

So the questions you should be asking your application vendors are "will it run on Windows Server 2008?" (the underlying kernel in SBS 200 AND "will it run on a 64 BIT machine and OS?".

In most cases a 32 BIT program will install and run on 64 BIT as Windows will run it in a 32 BIT "virtual environment (WOW32), but the potential show stopper is will it run on Windows Server 2008.

Comment

Well , why dont you try installing sbs2008 and install the software and see if it's compatable ? or you can always call SAGE and ask them is it is compatible with 64bit OS, or even Win2008 based system. If it is compatable with win2008, you can always buy as i said sbs2008 premium, migrate the sbs2003 to sbs2008, and use the extra win2008 license for the software, and the the sage software gets the database from the sbs2008.

Regards
                        Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

Yes, understand you now, I'll take the existing Sage software and see if it runs on Windows 2008 64-bit to start, so that will answer itself I suppose...

Can you explain this line a bit more though?
                          'In most cases a 32 BIT program will install and run on 64 BIT as Windows will run it in a 32 BIT "virtual environment (WOW32), but the potential show stopper is will it run on Windows Server 2008'

Am I right in saying you mean it could run on Windows 2003 64-bit, but not Win 2008 due to it being new?

Ok, again thanks for the help, I'm off to start testing!!

Shane

Comment

Well with 2003 64bit dont know, try it and see what happens. but what i was trying to say is that if you need a 32bit S.O. you can use the extra win2008 license because it is win2008 32bit, and if the software can run win 2008 32bit the problem is solved.

Regards

Comment

Ah right, see what you mean now, cheers Kevin...

Comment

Working...
                              X