No announcement yet.

Moving SBS 2008 to 2008 std

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving SBS 2008 to 2008 std

This could be licensing questions, but I have been looking for an answer all over the web and no luck.
    We have SBS2008 server running everything (AD, DNS, DHCP, Print, Files, SQL, SharePoint, etc.), and the traffic is way too much on this one single server with 65 users.
    I am planning to have a new server with Windows 2008 std, to have AD, DNS, DHCP and Print server, and I will have a second Windows 2008 std 64 bit to be dedicated for exchange 2007 only.
    The question here is, can I install Exchange 2007 that came with the SBS2008 on the new 2008 std without any licensing issues?
    I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with the answer ASAP.
    I am really desperate for an answer or more explanation since the network is almost down every day for the high traffic on the single SBS2008 server.

Re: Moving SBS 2008 to 2008 std

SBS licenses all keep Exchange on the SBS server
    You would need a full Exchange 2007 license -- I'm not sure about CALs as well
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Moving SBS 2008 to 2008 std

Hello, it's not possible to install Exchange from SBS2008, it's not even available to install. But you cannot use sbs2008 cal's with the seperate installations. If i'm not wrong, for sbs you buy sbs cal's, client or computer cal's that are the same cal's for exchange. With server2008 you can buy as well client and computer call's and terminal services cal's, in this case for exchange you have to buy exchange 2007 cal's, that is different of sbs2008 cal's. Hope i Helped You, and hope that my informations are correct.

Kevin Guerreiro