Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharepoint page on port 443 ?

All,

I have a standard SBS 2003 setup here, webmail on port 443 and sharepoint on port 444.

Is there a simple way to have both on port 443 ?
    From some locations port 444 is blocked outgoing, so I can't access the sharepoint.
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: Sharepoint page on port 443 ?

If you add another ip address to the server you can then assign the new ip address to the sharepoint site and set it to port 443.

Comment

not quite that straight forward joeqwerty.
      With a normal iis site, yea. but Sharepoint won't work if you just change the hostheader or ip settings etc...

you'd need to do an 'extension' (or something like that) and reconfigure it to recognise the new settings.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I thought that would be the case (I didn't say it would be easy). I figured that either OWA or Sharepoint would both probably be more complicated than just a "normal" web site. I should have mentioned that in my first response. Thanks.

Comment

You could try creating it the way Joe recommends and then add an appropriate Host Header to SharePoint, unless one already exists.

You then need to create Alternate Access Mappings to the appropriate zones in SharePoint. The default should be enough for the zone assignment.

With it being SBS though, not sure regarding IIS. I believe that after chanegs you need to invoke a wizard that allows the changes to take effect or it can break IIS.

Comment

Thanks, but I am not able to set port 443 to the sharepoint website "just like that" as IIS says the port is in use.
            Regards,
            SnijdeA.

Comment

I see. And you are assigning a different IP?

Comment

Nope, don't have another IP.
                Regards,
                SnijdeA.

Comment

Well then it's not possible to set it on port 443. One ip address can't listen on the same port for two different services/sites.

You have to make the binding unique in one of three ways:

1. IP Address
                  2. Port
                  3. Host Header

I don't know if you can use host headers with Sharepoint or not. You could try it. The worst case is that it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    Well then it's not possible to set it on port 443. One ip address can't listen on the same port for two different services/sites.

1. IP Address
                    2. Port
                    3. Host Header

I don't know if you can use host headers with Sharepoint or not. You could try it. The worst case is that it doesn't work.
                    Host headers don't work with HTTPS, unfortunately, at least, not on IIS.
                    Regards,
                    SnijdeA.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post

1. IP Address
                      2. Port
                      3. Host Header

You can use Host Headers in SharePoint providing you also configure Alternate Access Mappings to match.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                        You can use Host Headers in SharePoint providing you also configure Alternate Access Mappings to match.
                        Please explain.
                        Regards,
                        SnijdeA.

Comment

In SharePoint, initially you can get to the site via IIS using the IP address or name of the server and appropriate port number.

If you use a Host Header, IIS will receive the connection request and forward to SharePoint. For SharePoint to know the site to redirect the host header to, so for example, it may be the word 'external.portal.com', it needs the appropriate Alternate Access Mapping.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc263208.aspx

Are you still using WSS 2 or have you now installed WSS 3? WSS 2 is installed by default.

Comment

I forgot about not being able to use host headers with SSL. So you're using SSL with your Sharepoint or is port 443 just a random port that you selected?

If it's just a random port that you selected and you're not using SSL then host headers would work, but then that would make this whole post a frivolous exercise as you could select any port to run Sharepoint on, so I'm assuming you are using SSL and hence the need for a solution.

How are you routing/NATing traffic to the server? You can't NAT the same traffic to the same internal ip address for two different services/web sites. You can NAT all port 443 traffic to the server, but what differentiates OWA from Sharepoint?

Comment

In SharePoint, initially you can get to the site via IIS using the IP address or name of the server and appropriate port number.
                              No I can't, because port 443 is linked to the default website of which webmail is a part.

If you use a Host Header, IIS will receive the connection request and forward to SharePoint.
                              No it won't, because in IIS you can't use a host header and port 443 if port 443 has already been assigned.
                              Regards,
                              SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
                              X